Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Montero LS: What does service engine soon light

Customer Question

What does service engine soon light mean? This light came on in my car months ago and then went off on it's own shortly thereafter. Well, it came on again today, I was going up a hill and car acted as though it had no power, 2000 Montro sport.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.

The Service Engine Soon light is the Mitsubishi equivalent to the traditional "Check Engine" light.

When the Service Engine Soon light comes on, it indicates either the computer identified an abnormality in the engine or emission control system, or that there was a problem in the transmission control system and instructs to look there.

There are well over 100 plausible conditions to set the Service Engine Soon light on ranging from minor issues like a loose/leaky gas cap, to moderate issues like failed oxygen sensors or bad spark plugs, to even serious condition like internal transmission failures.

Because of the wide range of possibilities, it is impossible to speculate on the cause of the light without knowing the code(s) set in the system. Knowing however that you are experiencing drivability issues (no power), it should be considered a serious condition until it is checked out, and have the codes pulled as soon as possible.
Most auto parts stores are able to pull the codes set in your computer at no charge, and if you provide them here (just be sure you get the actual code numbers, not descriptions just the code numbers), I can review them and determine how severe the condition is and what your next steps will be.

If you have any questions, just let me know; I would be happy to elaborate if necessary.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
waiting to get codes
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
No problem at all. I am here daily, so when you are able to get them just post them here and I will get back with you as soon as I am at work and available.

Thanks