Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

i need a code to my stereo 2000 mitsubishi eclipse

Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.

You need to leave the key to ACC or ON, and the radio on (so that "oFF" is displayed) for at least one hour. When enough time has passed, the display will go blank, at which point you can push the power knob and "codE" will be displayed again.
Note: an hour is just the average time frame. Sometimes you get lucky and it is 50 minutes, sometimes you are unlucky and it is 75 minutes. In extreme cases where the radio has been locked multiple times, it will reach well into two hours (each time it locks it adds more time for it to unlock).
The trick is do NOT touch the radio or the ignition key until it goes blank. If you do, you start the whole process over. If the battery is weak, the timer will not work properly so either put a charger on the car or leave it running.

Now as far as getting a code goes, I can help you with that as well.
Under the radio/ac controls are there are two philips screws pointing up into the dash. Remove these screws.
Grab the trim panel that surrounds the radio/ac/vents at the bottom rear edge and gently rock it toward you and up. The top two corners are snapped in with steel clips, rocking the panel up like this will release them, just go slowly as these dashes get brittle and will crack if you force it.

Once the panel is loose/off, look at the top of the radio. You will see a white sticker on the top left front corner of the radio chassis. On the bottom edge will read "SERIAL NO.:______________". I need that number -exactly- as it appears on the sticker. If you can read the model number (MRxxxxxx) that will help, however the serial number is XXXXX and must be exact.

Provide the number(s) here exactly as they appear on the radio, and I will provide an unlock code and instructions to input it after your "oFF" status is cleared.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the sticker is kinnda torn but this is wat i got you tell me if thats right serial#1256272106 and the second part i think is EITM17390UC
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
Okay I can assure you that isn't it. Can you take a picture of the sticker and post it here and I can take a stab at it?

If the sticker can not be correctly read, unfortunately the radio will require replacement. The serial number sticker is the only way to retrieve an unlock code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HOW CAN I GET BACK TO YOU BECAUSE I CANT GET THE STEREO OUT TILL TOMORROW CAUSE I DONT HAVE THE TOOLS ??
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
No problem.

You can simply return to this page tomorrow (you should have received an email with a link here as well) and post back when you have something.
I will be in tomorrow evening, though I am going to try to get in early if I can. Regardless, I will respond back to you as soon as I see your post, and hopefully we can get you up and running again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok the # XXXXX XXXXX AND THE SERIAL #01255296A
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

The unlock code for serial number 01255296A is going to be:

6797

To input the code, you need to first get the radio back to "code" being displayed on the screen as we discussed before. Once the display reads "code", perform the following:

Push preset button 1 seven times to set the first digit, the display will increase with each push (0-1-2-3-4-5-6)
Push preset button 2 eight times (0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7)
Push preset button 3 ten times (0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9)
Push preset button 4 eight times (0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7)

When you are done, the correct code should be displayed, 6797. When it is, you will then push the unlock button. This varies by radio but is always either CD, AMFM or TAPE. There is no penalty for pushing the wrong one as long as your code is displayed correctly, so you can just push each one. The radio will then beep and turn on.
IF the radio makes a long beep, displays ERR then "codE" again, there is a problem with your serial number and we need to double check it.

If you have any questions, just let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where is the pre set and the unlock button?
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.

When I say preset button 1-4, I am referring to the station preset buttons across the radio (1 2 3 4 5 6) that you use to store radio presets.
The unlock button, as I mentioned, varies by radio it is not always the same button, it WILL always be either CD, AMFM or TAPE however, those are the only three that are used.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,

Doug i think i locked the radio again... but can i ask you a diffrent question about the car??

Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
If you had the code displayed correctly and the radio locked again, then there was a mistake with the serial number and we need to try to read it again. If you accidentally locked it pushing buttons etc, then you will just need to wait out the timer again so you can enter the code, and do so -exactly- as i described previously.

If it is a brief question you can go ahead and ask here; if it is elaborate you will need to open a new question for it; we only get credited when you accept an answer, so the site prefers new questions be posted if there is a significantly different/complex question at hand.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks well the window on the passanger side rolls down but it doesnt roll back up and the switch on my side (driver side doesnt do anything as in down or up for that window and the only way i can roll the window back up is by opening the driver side door all the way... what could it be??
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
Are you saying that the passenger window does not work from the drivers door switch, however if you open the door all the way then it will work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the driver side switch doesnt roll down or up the passanger window and the passanger side switch will roll the window down but not up but it will work only if i open the driver side car door all the way??

Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wanted to make sure I was understanding completely.

If you look at each door when it is opened, you will see a rubber accordion style grommet that passes between the center of the front edge of the door and the door jamb.
This rubber grommet is where the wiring for the door passes through to reach the rest of the vehicle.

What is happening on your vehicle is the wiring is weakened inside the pass through from repeated opening and closing of the door. This is very common as the vehicles get older because the wires can only be stretched from opening the door so many times before they start to get brittle. When this happens, the connection weakens and you end up having no operation through the damaged wires. The reason that we know this is the issue is that when you open the door all the way and the wiring changes position naturally from the movement of the grommet, the functionality returns.

To repair this, you are going to need to pass the wire harness through the grommet so that each individual wire can be inspected for weakness and corrected as necessary. This requires a professional repair.... the wiring will need to be soldered back together and shrink tubed, you do NOT want to just go in with electrical tape or anything along those lines, as this is a high traffic area since you are constantly opening the door... it needs to be repaired properly to make sure it lasts.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you so much for all of your help....Smile
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all, I am glad to help.

Please be sure to click Accept on one of the provided answers above if it/they were helpful to you. This is the only way we are credited for our time here.

If you need anything else, I'd be happy to assist you again.