Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

How do I Reprogramming my key for Mitsubishi Lancer after replacing

Customer Question

How do I Reprogramming my key for Mitsubishi Lancer after replacing the battery.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.

What year Lancer are you working with?

What key system does the vehicle have?

Is it the key that needs programming or the wireless lock function?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

2009

I don't know what you mean when you ask what key system

I think it's the key, not sure

Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.

By key system, I mean do you have the traditional metal key with the buttons and the red light, or do you have the 'FAST' key system that operates wirelessly (you can start the car without putting the key in the ignition)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Metal key with buttons and red light.
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.

Does the key not start the car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It starts the car, it just won't allow me to open the doors, or the truck by remote. I have replaced the battery (c1620) button type battery. The light will blink red when I attempt to open the doors, but the lights don't flash nor does the doors open. I have to manually open with the key.
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.

When you shut the door, do the dome lights immediately go out, or do they fade after 30 seconds or so?

Are there any other malfunctions occurring?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they fade after 30 seconds or so. there are no other malfunctions occuring
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.

Do you have more than one key, and if so are both malfunctioning in this same way (buttons work the trunk but not the door locks, engine starts)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Both keys are not working. The truck nor the doors will open with the buttons. I have to open the truck by releasing it manually with the handle located on the drivers side on the floor. The doors only open by turning the key.
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.

At this point it sounds like your memory has been wiped; this is not terribly common, however it does happen on this design system every so often.

Did anything noteworthy occur just prior to this condition starting? Any repairs, accidents, accessories added etc?

How many miles are on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. There was some extremely wet, cold weather recently. I have 46,000 miles.
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.

Does the vehicle have a clear title (not salvaged or theft recovery etc)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes! it has a clean title./
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.

At this point you are going to want to bring your vehicle to the Mitsubishi dealer to have this corrected... there are three reasons for this:

1) As long as you didn't drop the keys in the toilet or anything like that, they are covered by your 5 year 60,000 mile basic warranty, and this will be repaired at no charge.

2) Because you have no working keys, you will not be able to reprogram the keys without a factory scan tool. You need to have at least one working key (remote portion) to do anything with the system without the use of the factory scan tool.

3) Because both keys dropped off together, it is NOT terribly likely that the keys are bad or just need reprogramming, it is more likely that the WCM (Wireless Control Module) is malfunctioning... if this is the case, even if you were able to reprogram the keys, it would not correct the underlying problem that caused them to lose programming to begin with, and there is an excellent chance the problem will return down the road.

So to be clear, with none of your keys having functioning wireless control, you will require a factory scan tool to reprogram them. With both of the keys being completely inoperative in the keyless capacity (but start the vehicle fine), it is most likely that the WCM has lost knowledge of the keys. With no recent repairs or modifications that could cause this issue, a malfunction is the most likely suspect. Further, since the trunk does not work either (monitored separately from the doors), the chance of a lock actuator being stuck, etc, is also out of the question.

At this point we are pretty much down to either the WCM lost memory either naturally (unlikely) or by malfunction, or that both keys happened to fail at the same time (also unlikely). Regardless of actual cause, your 5 year 60,000 mile warranty will still be in effect and will cover any necessary repairs, as long as the title is clean, your mileage is under the 60k, and there is no obvious sign of foul play (gutted up wiring, accident damage in related areas, etc).

If you have any questions please let me know and I would be happy to elaborate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So you are saying that I need to take the key to the dealer to have the memory reset, correct. How will they be able to distinquish my car, by the VIN number, and will the reset apply allow me access to my care. If not how much VIN nimber?

Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.
The vehicle and keys need to be present to reprogram the keys, and again I would suspect there may be more to it than that, but that is the first step.
The process can not be done without the car present, it must be there as the tool that programs the keys connects to the car during the process. If nothing else is wrong, the reprogramming will give you back access to the door locks etc.