Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

why does seat belt light stay on

why does seat belt light stay on
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.

What year and model vehicle is this?

Is it just the seatbelt light in the dash cluster, or is it a seatbelt light in the center of the dashboard?

Are any other lights coming on?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the year is 2000 eclispe my friends car do not know position of seatbelt light if left on runs down battery
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

So the seatbelt warning light is on at all times, even when the keys are not in the vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The seatbelt light is the only noticiable light
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
And the seatbelt light is on at all times, even when the keys are not in the vehicle?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what the conditions are right now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Seatbelt light is on even without keys being in car he has taken out the battery keeps running down battery is new has been recharged
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

Did anything happen prior to this condition occurring? Any recent repairs, accessories being installed, or even having had the car jumpstarted? Anything worth noting that happened just prior to the problem showing up is what we are looking for.

Is there anything else on the car that is not functioning correctly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not to my knowledge were there any repairs the car was jump started after rundown of battery the heater coil is bad and radio missing
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

Just our of curiosity, if you buckle the driver seat belt, does the light go out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no light is continueous
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

At this point it appears that your ETACS module has failed in the car. The ETACS are known for both failure and parasitic draw conditions. The permanently lit seatbelt light is a bit of a new one to me, however the light is completely controlled by the ETACS module, as shown in the schematic below:

graphic

As with any electrical malfunction... while I don't see it being any issue with this situation aside.... you should go over ALL of your fuses to make sure there is not a popped fuse somewhere. In some scenarios you can have a popped fuse that allows voltage to bleed over from one circuit to another. It is not real common, and again in this situation I don't see it being an issue, however it costs nothing to check and is cheap insurance. Go over all of your fuses both under hood and specifically in the dash, pulling each one, one at a time, and visually inspecting.
If all fuses are OK, you are going to need to replace the ETACS module. The ETACS is fairly easy to replace, it simply snaps in to the back of the in-dash fuse box. The ETACS run in the $200 range at the dealership (give or take depending on your exact model), however used ones can be installed as well at a savings. There is no coding or programming that needs to be done, they are simply plug and play you only need to match the part number correctly on the donor part to your original.
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
Just on a whim, one last thing you can check is that the ignition switch is not bleeding current over either.

If you remove the column covers (philips screws) you will have access to the electrical ignition switch on the left side of the column... unplug the large six pin connector on the back of the ignition switch and see if your problem goes away. Looking at the schematic, I am curious if the ignition switch is bleeding current over, keeping the ETACS awake in error.

If there is no change with the ignition switch unplugged, then proceed as advised before.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician