Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport: dome..chime..open) turn key..tight

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Went to leave a friends house, opened door, dome/door light comes on, put key in ignition, turn, dash lights come on, chime sounds ( door open) turn key and no nothing, not even emergency flashers. Check battery voltage, check connections for battery to starter, everything tight and in good repair. Friend jumps vechile, running fine. Leave and have to stop for train and engine quits absolutely no power or emergency flashers. Get a junp again, and continue home. It starts fine, haven't drive since. What could be the cause?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

With the cables/connections OK and the entire vehicle going nearly dead (no flashers), but the vehicle being able to be jumpstarted, you will certainly have a battery issue here. The only question will be if the battery is solely at fault, or if you have a charging issue causing the battery to fail.

Because you are for the most part able to drive the vehicle once jumpstarted (some stalling at the train aside), it is most likely a simple battery failure. If there were a charging issue you would more than likely not be able to drive far, and you would have the battery and brake lights illuminated in the dash while driving.

What is more than likely the case here is that the battery is simply degraded beyond the requirements of the vehicle. The jump start is able to get the vehicle running, as once the engine is started under the power of another vehicle, the alternator on your truck is generating sufficient power to keep the engine running. When the engine is shut off or stalls, you are back to having a dead battery (insufficient for normal vehicle operation). When the vehicle is jumpstarted and back under alternator power again, all systems work again. The battery simply isn't receiving the charge from the alternator, and provided the cables and connections are good as you described, this leaves only the battery at fault.

With relation to your stalling, this is a side effect of the battery dying; the learned values for the idle adaptation is lost when the battery goes low, and will need to relearn (or the throttle be cleaned) to bring it back to normal idling condition.

Pull the battery and have it tested/confirmed dead, then you can replace it and either drive the vehicle until the idle is relearned or have a shop clean the throttle out (about $45 typically).

Be aware if you have the full alarm system on your truck, when you install the new battery it may go off, locking your starter and sounding the horn. To bypass this, there will be a red LED on the left side of the dash, insert the key, press down on the red LED, then turn the key to start while holding the LED to over ride the alarm.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Battery voltage is at 12.8
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Battery voltage unfortunately has nothing to do with it. The amperage is what is needed to power the vehicle. For example I can line up 8 AA (1.5V each) batteries in a row and have 12 volts, but it won't start the truck as there is only a few amps total, whereas your truck requires about 550 amps for normal operation and power retention.

Have the battery tested, I would wager you will see something in the neighborhood of 100 amps if you are losing everything but the dome lights and chime etc. And again this is further confirmed by your ability to jump start the vehicle and drive the vehicle after jumpstart. As long as your connections and cables at the battery are good as you said, you have nothing else to go wrong but a dead battery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am losing everything. When I got in chimes dome lights worked as soon as I turned the key everything went out. No dome lights, no chimes no emergency flashes, etc. Also when the car stalled at railroad tracks..turned on emergency flashers and nothing. Got out of car and told the guy behind me he would need to go around and suddenly the flashers started working. got back in car dome lights, chimes..turned key and everything quit working. As if I had no battery in the car. Lights never dimed the car went totally dead.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the clarification.This still sounds as if either a faulty battery or a lose connection on the battery.Go back and double check your battery connections for tightness and corrosion, if all look good still, take thee battery to be tested. There is nothing here indicating any other likely issues.I apologize if this part is hard to read, our network keeps dropping tonight and I am posting from my phone so the formatting doesn't always work properly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Will double check all connections, and have battery tested. Wasn't sure where to start. Starter (solenoid) stuck open/closed, ignition. Of course battery. Possible internal issue with plate or something. Will accept answer. Thank you for your time and patience.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
It's no problem at all I am glad to help. You are correct a loose plate it's very suspect too... If the battery tests ok (and engine stats during test for example), shift the battery a little to see if it affects the test.With the vehicle cutting out nearly entirely but coming back up with a jump start, you should have nothing to worry about with the starter, etc.Again I apologize for the difficulty reading the posts from the phone... Hopefully the network comes back up soon, luckily my work day is just ending. If you need any thing else just let me know.
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician