SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 16 years experience

My car is making a noise that sounds like a fan belt squeal.

My car is making a noise that sounds like a fan belt squeal. the fan belts have however been replaced. It seems it is worse when AC is on. Usually just in first gear or so and it is really high pitched. Then also 90% of the time after starting it feels like i'm pulling away in 4th or 5th gear almost as I have almost no power. It is a automatic 1996 Mitsubishi Pajero Jnr.. Now from my limited knowledge I think it is a problem with the automatic transmission that isn't getting enough fluid through the feeding pipe.. ???.. I changed the fluid a few weeks ago but the problem persisted. Please recommend what I should look for next... Kind regards, XXXXX XXXXX Jager, jsdejager, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
you need to remove the belt and spin the pulleys by hand to see if you feel resistance or hear bearing noise.Your a/c pulley bearings could be bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Dave,

So even though my A/C is not on most of the time and the squeal noise is still there that can still be the problem?

yes it could be , because when then a/c is off the pulley is still turning.The bearings could be bad.When the a/c is turned on it puts even more strain on the engine.