Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Mitsubishi Galant: I need to replace the crankshaft position

I need to replace the crankshaft position sensor on my 2003 Galant. I know it is located behind the timing cover but after some research I am not sure if it is the upper or lower cover. Can you give me the location of the sensor and the steps to get to it to replace it? Also I found an answer to my heater problem in one of your last posts about the heater control motor so thank you for that.

The crank position sensor is located behind the -lower- timing cover, just behind the crank pulley area. The wire harness goes up then behind the power steering pump before ending next to the oil cap area.

This is a fairly complex repair, and should not be attempted unless you are comfortable with timing belt work. If the timing belt is installed incorrectly, you can do serious damage to the engine.

Below is an illustration of the crank sensor location. Once timing belt is removed, you will need to:
Remove the bolts holding the power steering pressure hose on (#1)
Remove bolts holding power steering pump into bracket (#2)
Loosen bolts holding power steering pump bracket to block (#3)
You are supposed to remove the bracket, I just loosen it though, then fish the crank sensor out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
From your responce I think I might have to pull a favor from my friend. I also heard that I should replace the sensor bar. Is that correct and if so what all is involved in doing so?

Your answer was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
By sensor bar you mean the reluctor plate that the crank sensor reads?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no need to replace this provided it is not physically damaged (like from a timing belt failure).

The reluctor plate is simply a flat piece of thin metal with ears cut into it for the crank sensor to read. There are only two ways that it can fail... either the timing belt can break and bend it (which could still be straightened out, but they are cheap anyway), or they can be reassembled incorrectly during a timing belt replacement... this isn't something we see on the 03 Galant however... other models have them held to the crank gear by rollpins that can punch through the plate in the wrong location if you aren't careful... yours is woodruff keyed however.
As long as the timing belt didn't break and damage the reluctor plate, there is no reason to replace it other than for fun, it is just a flat piece of metal.... think of it like your windshield... you wouldn't replace it because you were changing your wiper blades out right? Only if the windshield was broken/damaged... same scenario here, it's just a dumb piece of metal (or glass)..

If it is damaged and needs replacement... it is the same process in removing the timing belt, in fact it has to come off anyway to properly change the belt.
Once you have the covers off and crank pulley etc, there are two timing belts behind the covers, a main belt and a secondary balance belt. These are always changed in pairs. In order to remove the secondary balance belt, you must first remove the main crank gear, followed by the reluctor plate behind it in order to slide the secondary balance belt off the rear crank gear.