Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner, 27 year Import technician
29331485

Mitsubishi Galant ES: 2001 mitsubishi galant cranks but wont

Customer Question

2001 mitsubishi galant cranks but won't start when it is cold it has spark and fuel and sounds like it is about ready to start when you give it some gas but won't and when i unplug the idle air valve crank it and then plug it back in I can get it to start
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Name is Greg and i will assist you the best i can, please Only accept if you are happy with my answer.

Is the check engine light ON when the engine is running ?

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is a cylinder misfire but I tried unplugging idle air again this morning and that didn't work smells like its getting to much fuel maybe and when it starts it blows out blue smoke for a minute
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Which code was it ?? a P0300 or was there a few more .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeah that was the one p0300
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
If you are getting to much fuel and have a no start issue please try the following then get back to me.
Press the accelerator pedal fully to the floor this will cut off the fuel then crank engine till starts .
If this works or not please let me know.

Regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It wont start without giving it some pedal but it wont fire with pedal to the floor but it sounds more like it wants to start when you give it some pedal
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
One question how does she drive once you have her started?

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not so good stalls when accelerating from a stop or when turning the steering wheel and has a lack of power and some pinging in motor when accelerating but I was also told car has a weak cylinder
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Ok .

First check the fuel pressure and i would like to know what the engine compression is on each cylinder ,
Fuel pressure should be 34psi and 43psi with the vacuum disconnected.

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will get that for you but just to let you know that after it starts and is warm it will fire up no problem but if it sits at work all day and it is cold outside it wont start you have to crank it for an hour
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Here is a list of possible cause

Component check sequence for hard start cold.

• Air intake system/vacuum system - leaks
• Electrical connections - engine/battery
• Ignition system
• Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
• Engine compression
• Fuel pressure/fuel pressure regulator
• Condition of fuel/fuel filter
• Injectors
• Throttle position (TP) sensor
• Volume air flow (%‘AF) sensor
• Exhaust system/catalytic converter
• Engine management system - connections/wiring
• Engine control module (ECM)

Kind regards Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the ect sensor and how do you test it
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

The ECT sensor is on the thermostats housing .
To test it you need the following.
  1. Thermometer.
  2. Pot of cold water.
  3. Stove to heat water .
  4. Ohm meter .

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

You heat up the water checking the temp and at the same time the Ohm readings from the temp sensor .

If the readings are not within the chart below replace the sensor.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Need further assistance please let me know.

Kind regards Greg