Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician
3827149

2000 mitsubishi eclipse: the clutch..2.4l..bellhousing..bolts

Customer Question

Dear Sir,
we are trying to change the clutch in a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse 2.4l rs. How do we seperate the transmission from the bellhousing? We have all the bolts out but cannot get the transmission to break loose. Can you help? Thanks!
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 5 years ago.
Does the transmission turn 180 degrees ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This a manual transmission- we are trying to break the seal of rtv between the transmission and the bellhousing without breaking anything. Any suggestions? I don't understand what you mean about does the transmission turn 180 deg.
If all the bolts are out the transmission should turn. We use 2 pry bars to separate the transmission . You removed the starter and axles correct . Sounds like you forgot a bolt it should separate easy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Starter is removed and left front axle is disconnected from the left wheel. We are pretty sure all the bolts are removed. We are trying to keep from breaking anything when we pry it apart. Do we have to have both axles disconnected? Thanks for your help!
Yes both axles should be removed. If the case did not just separate there is still another bolt holding it together . Look closely there are 2 that go from the engine side into the transmission if I recall correctly .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ive checked to see if any bolts are still in place, which they aren't. ive disassembled both front axles. when you say there are 2 bolts that go from the engine side into the transmission, do you mean they go into the bellhousing, or is the bellhousing considered part of the transmission? should i be taking the bellhousing off also? im attempting to change the clutch out in the long run, this is why im dropping the transmission..
Yes just the transmission will come down. There is a bolt that goes from the engine side and also the very top bolt is hidden make sure its out . If it is then just take 2 pry bars and separate the transmission from the engine block . These are the next steps. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Coll, your definitely great help! I believe i do have all the bolts out. Is there a specific spot i should use the pry bar on? Or should I just try tapping it inbetween the bellhousing and transmission? Like I've said before I wouldlike to not break anything..
You can tap it in-between and it should now separate . Hoped all this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ive attempted to separate the transmission from the bell-housing but it still has not separated. It seems like im supposed to unbolt the bell-housing from the engine to get the transmission off..? I dont see any bolts that go from the engine to the transmission.. the bell-housing is in between the engine and the transmission. thats why i ask if im supposed to take the bell-housing off with the transmission..
Yes its all one piece bell housing and transmission come down . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So i should put the bolts back in between the transmission and bell-housing and then unbolt the bell-housing from the engine then drop it? I was about to separate the transmission from the bell-housing..
Yes absolutely . That's the correct way. Hoped this helped. Don't forget to click the green accept button so I get credit for my help. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got the bell-housing to break free from the engine. Now it is almost an inch separated the whole way around but it seems to not want to fully disconnect/drop from its spot. How far does it have to slide away from the engine until it will drop? All of the gears inside of the bell-housing, they stay attached to the engine while i drop the transmission??
Should move about almost a foot. Everything is internal gears will stay.