Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2000 Galant: pop it into neutral (AT)..rev..cooled down..idle fine

Customer Question

My 2000 Galant GTZ has been cutting out (loss of motor power) while driving. I can pop it into neutral (AT) and rev the motor to keep it from stalling at a stop but if I let it stall it will turn over but not start again until it has cooled down. My mitsu dealer has looked at it twice and both times said they did not receive a computer code to tell them what was wrong, because the car would start , drive and idle fine. The first time they replaced the O2 sensor on the front manifold on a hunch but the car still had a couple minor hesitations at highway speed but immediately kicked back on and kept going. The other day at both highway speed and surface street speed it continued to cut out and then cut back on either by popping into neutral and revving or just on its own. This is my wife's car and I am not confident it is reliable enough to get her around town without stalling out and requiring yet another tow to Mitsu for yet another "we get no code and it is running fine" answer. Any ideas.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Do you know if you are missing spark or fuel when cranking the engine over when it does not start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure about either. All I know is that if the car rests for a couple of hours it will start right up and run fine for days and even weeks at a time and when the mechanics hook up their diagnostic computer, no problem codes are returned. The last time it happened we had driven approximately 8 miles on the highway at 65 mph steady and it just cut out, the engine stopped making noise and we lost speed and the gas pedal would not accelerate in drive. When I popped it up into neutral the gas pedal would work and I could rev the engine up past 2000 rpm and hold it there let it return to 1000 rpm pop it into gear and then it would drive. I drove off the highway to a parking lot, shut off the car and it started back up no problem.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. When your car is cranking over and is not starting, we will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.
A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem