Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor: disconnected..all the interior lights

I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor XLS. The customer disconnected the battery and when he connected it back, the Radio now says Communication Error, and all the interior lights don't work. Also, the compass works, but the radio clock resets to 1:00 when I turn the car on every time. I just want to know if it's the ECU inside the engine in the fuse box? or the ECU under the dash?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like you just popped your IOD fuse

Go to the under-hood fuse box and take the lid off. Locate the two fuses with a box/cage around them and either probe them with a test light (all four metal contacts) on the tops of the fuses, or grab the cage and pull up while wiggling to release it, then remove the fuses from the cage for inspection.

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took those out, it comes in a yellow shaped box. I took it out, after testing it which was fine, then replaced it. Still no luck. Is that the one you're talking about?
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the two in the yellow shaped box that is kind of hard to remove.

If both fuses are definitely OK, can you check them with a test light to make sure there is voltage going to them? You can just ground your test light wire then probe the four metal tabs on the tops of the two fuses in the yellow box.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked them both with a tester and both are working. Tested them connected, also the connector and when I took them out. voltage is going through them and the four metal tabs have power as well.
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.
Hm, that is unusual.

The only thing that could have happened during battery removal is a popped fuse, and by your description it should be one of the two in the IOD. With power on both sides.... well you should have all the items you described functioning.
Are we certain the fuses are solidly pushed in? Sometimes you need to use a screwdriver or little finger to push on the tops of the fuses after seating the yellow box.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes sir, I pushed both in and made sure they worked after as well. Tested them again to make sure. Radio still Error and interior lights don't work. Fuses are good.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was thinking that since all that happened was the battery disconnected, so a fuse or fuses had to go out. I checked those 2 fuses and removed them, did everything u wrote and still no interior lights and error on the LCD screen of the radio.
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.

Here's the thing... the E-Com is just the multi-display telling you it is getting full communication with the radio. The radio is fused on numbers 20, 22 and 23 with only physical disconnects between 20 and 22 and the radio (connectors... no actual devices that could have been damaged etc).
Further, #23 is shared with the lighting and the clock.

If you are absolutely certain these fuses are all fine, the only other possibility that I could see would be an ETACs failure, which is powered off of #23 and controls your lighting, timing functions, although this would not likely affect the radio communication.

Maybe there is more to the story the customer isn't sharing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll read over your information and check the fuses that you stated. I'll get back to you in a few minutes after testing everything thoroughly.
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.
Let me know what you find... we'll get to the bottom of this.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, after checking fuses 20, 22 and 23. They all have power, fuses are not blown and the radio is still not working along with the interior lights. I try to turn on the radio and it doesn't do anything. Clock works and so does the compass. Still no luck for me. I made sure to push everything back in nice and tight and checked to see if they had voltage which they did. Very odd.
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.

Lets see if we have power at the radio. This is not too hard to check, you will need a philips screwdriver and a 10mm socket and extension.

Grab the bottom of the radio/ac trim panel and pull rearward to pop it loose. Unplug the Hazard button. If you have the two seatbelt lights to unplug on either side of the hazard button, you will be setting an SRS code to clear later, be advised... for a 2004 you probably don't have these lights there though.
Pull the shifter into L. Slide the trim panel back and unplug the three AC control connectors; if you have the two heated seat switches built into the trim panel, unplug them, then set the trim panel aside.

Remove the four philips screws holding the radio in. Loosen the 10mm nut on the top left rear area of the radio, holding the bracket to the crash bar (this is the radio ground), then slide the radio out.

Check for power on the 14 pin connector that is oriented like this:

We want to check for power on the following pins with headlight switch on, and both with the key on and key off:
Pin 14 (Green/White stripe)
Pin 20 (Blue)
Pin 21 (Red/White stripe)

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the late reply, but I had a big discussion with my customer and he decided to take it to the dealer. Never got any further than checking the fuses. I just wanted to make sure you knew that so this information is helpful to someone in the future. Sorry about that, I will pay for your assistance and if you want you can leave the question open for someone to answer or close it unanswered. Let me know what I have to do next to pay for the question. Thank you for your time sir.
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.
No problem at all, I'm sorry we weren't able to get to the bottom of it ourselves, I was a bit curious to find out what was going on myself.

Thanks for the offer to accept for the work we've done thus far, it is appreciated. If you need any Mitsubishi help in the future I'd be happy to assist you again.