Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

What is the Immobilizer Pin Code for 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

Do you need the PIN code for programming a new key, or a temporary over ride code?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have just installed a used Engine Control Module and now we need to get the car started. We have trouble code #1610
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. When the scan tool asks for a pass code (or PIN depending on scan tool) when you go to reprogram the key to the new ECM, use the pass code 6876 for a 2001 Spyder.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Doug,

WE cleared the fault code first and then entered the 6876 PIN code and followed all the directions each step fully. It said we were erasing all keys in memory and then entered the pass code and clicked on (ready). It said one is now registered and do you want to register another key (no we don't). We turned the key off and then tried to start engine, it cranks and won't run. It reset the P1610 trouble code again. Are we doing something wrong?
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Possibly.... certain 2001 models require a new immobilizer ecu whenever the ECM is replaced. Did you verify if this was required on your model?

If not, if you provide the VIN I can tell you whether yours requires replacement in pairs or not.
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Also, be sure you unhook the scan tool and cycle the key off before attempting to start the car, if you didn't do that previously. These usually will not start just exiting program mode, you need to cycle the key off etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
4A3AE55H11E005145 Here is the VIN #
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.

Unfortunately on this vehicle you are going to need to replace the immobilizer ecu in order to program the keys to the new ecm. The problem here is that the early models of immobilizer married the immobilizer ecu to the ecm on first program, and it will not work with replacement ecms... it must be replaced at the same time. Mid-way through 2001 this changed, but you are in the early group before this occurred.

The production date on your car is April 2000, as shown on the VIN build here:
graphic
The change over date was mid July 2000 and non E55 VINs for the new style that does not require immobilizer ecu replacement.
In order to program the keys you will need to buy a new immobilizer ecu and then program as normal. A used immobilizer ecu will not work here, remember they are married to the ecm, so you must purchase a new one. The details regarding this requirement are detailed in the Mitsubishi publication below:
graphic
If you have any questions, please let me know.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician