George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Mitsubishi Eclipse need timing belt diagram or replacement

Customer Question

need timing belt diagram or replacement instruction for 2001 eclipse 2.4
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The procedure with the timing diagram is below, look it over and let me know if you have further questions

Click here for procedure

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
view of counter balance shaft plug is crap.what side is it on and counter balance belt view is non exsitant.as long as i am here was replacing all belts.setting up all because crank cog came off when removing pulley.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

The plug for the pump shaft is along the front of the engine behind the manifold about 1 inch above the oil pan rail.

The marks for the balance shaft are clear on the sprocket, the sprockets are keyed to the shafts. I agree that Mitsu's diagrams leave a lot to be desired.

Let me know how I can help you

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1 more.why is it needed to set the oil pump plug b.s. if it never is in time after start?balance shat in time every time.oil pump mark never same after several revolutions.oil pressure is good and vehicle is running perfect.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

The balance shaft/oil pump has three possible positions when the mark is lined up as the shaft is gear driven three to one.

You can actual spin the pump gear and it will settle near the correct position, if you bring it to the mark when the shaft is not in the correct position the gear will try to turn off the mark. Pull the bolt that does not hold anything on the front of the block and use a probe to be sure you are in the right position. If you are not you will have a slight rough idle but at 60 mph it will feel like the engine wants to jump out of the car.

Once you have the belt timed correctly all the marks will come back into alignment every 12 revolutions of the crank.

Let me know what further questions you have.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it seems to run good.never moved oil pump shaft out of time anyway.slight crank shaft /cam movement all seems in time.thanks for your expertise.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Glad to help and thank you for using JA! again.