Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse: The cd player..push

The cd player in my 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse has suddenly acted up. Sometimes it plays, sometimes it won't. When I push another button for another CD, it ejects. It's all screwed up. It was working fine but not I never know when it's going to play or not.

Do you ever see an error code on the dash display when the problem occurs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Doug,

To tell you the truth I never noticed. I just see the words eject when it's going to eject. When I remove the CD, it tells me to wait, and then it says load, which I do. But I never took notice that it says error.

Okay thanks.

I take it this is the 6-disc unit?
Does this (randomly) occur on all different discs... ie, have you tried several different CDs and it is equally random on all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago. is a 6-disc unit and it randomly occurs. When I go to play it and it does play, I almost shout, but then the dreaded not playing. It was working fine and this occurred all of a sudden within the past month.

When it is acting up, you put a CD in, and it tracks a bit trying to start, then ejects, is that accurate?
Or is the problem more "initiated" by you... ie, it will work fine until you do something in particular?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it tracks a bit and I think it's going to work. It goes to say Track I and I wait and wait and then I push another track. Maybe I am the cause of it doing this. But I don't think so.

We have seen a large number of the 6 disc radios fail especially on the early (2006-2007) models. I just want to be sure that the issue is inside the radio and not the separate control panel.

Do you know if you are still inside of your basic warranty? I can check for you if you have your VIN handy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the VIN # XXXXX my reg? If so, 4A3AD24F16E053534 I hope that's right. I copied it off the reg.
Thanks. There was a typo in there but the last 8 appear correct (which is all I needed).

Unfortunately (mileage aside) your warranty on the radio went out July 1st, so that doesn't help us too much.

What you are going to need to do is either have the radio repaired or replaced. When these radios come in under warranty, we have them repaired to save costs (new they are very expensive). My dealership uses H&R Radio, but there are many electronics repair facilities nation wide that perform factory radio repairs, you just need to contact y our local dealership and ask who they use. They may even be willing to handle the leg-work for you if you carry the radio in.
Repair varies based on the extent of the damage, however it always is at least $250 (like a minimum charge) with H&R... if there was mechanism failure inside the cost goes up, but that isn't the case in your instance as we have a read/tracking error.

The alternative would be to go with a used unit; these can be had regularly on ebay for $100-200, as well as your local salvage yards may have some as well (often for under $100 at salvage yards). Just be aware that this is a common issue on the 06-07 six disc radios, so you will want to keep in mind that the problem may reoccur on the used unit.

Now my personal opinion, unless you have driven a ton of miles this year, I would take this in to your local dealership and see if they are willing to work with you on the repair. Looking at your history (assuming the VIN ends in 6E053534is accurate), you had about 35k miles at the beginning of this year.... which would lead me to believe you are probably well under 60k miles right now. If that is accurate, that means your radio is only out of warranty by time, and only about 5 weeks as the in-service date was July 1st 2006.
Knowing this, there is a good chance that your local dealership would be allowed to do a good will coverage of the repair if they contact their local district representative. At my dealership (granted, we run our dealership very pro-customer as opposed to some horror stories other dealerships seem to be), we regularly cover items that are 1 week, 1 month, even 3 months out of warranty as a courtesy to hopefully bring the customer back for regular work in the future.