Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician

Mitsubishi Galant LS The ABS and TCL light comes on when my

Customer Question

The ABS and TCL light comes on when my 2003 Mitsubishi Galant is turned on. Does not go off until I pull over and restart vehicle and then it seems fine. If I don't use for a couple hours, it will pop on again. I pull over and restart to get to go off. I bought this used vehicle 3 weeks ago for son and it has been in the shop 5 times. (It is currently there) Each time it is supposedly fixed but when I pick it up, lights are on again. They have replaced the sensors etc..., cleaned debris that could interfere with sensor etc.. What else could possibly cause this problem that the Mitsubishi mechanics are not seeing?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 2 years ago.
What are the codes stored?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean?
The codes stored for the abs and TCS light .Once I have these codes I can properly diagnose the issue or give you an idea of the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know. The car is curently at the dealership and they have the paperwork. I just know they replaced the sensors and cleaned debris on another try and even replaced an axle to get to the sensor. So I think without the information you requested You will probably not be able to be helpful
Do you know if they replaced a wheel bearing on this vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I am not sure.
Ok if the wheel bearing was installed backwards it will cause the abs sensor not to read correctly . If you can call the dealer and get me the codes it will help tremendously.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I realized I have that i have the one piece of paperwork they gave me. It does not list the code. It says diagnosis advice was replace L/F axle, knuckle, Hub, Backing Plate and ABS Sensor (didn't mention anything about the TCL light)

1 MR370932 sensor, FR ABS , LH
1NPN NAPA AXLE
1NPN Salvage Spindle

I will call to see if I can get whatever they have
Yes that shows they replaced the bearing also or removed and reinstalled it . I bet the bearing is in backwards causing this issue. This needs to be checked next.