Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner, 27 year Import technician

A 1993 Shogun 2.5L diesel (4D56)..timing marks..sprocket..alignment

I am trying to replace broken A and B timing belts on a 1993 Shogun 2.5L diesel (4D56) and am having difficulty with which timing marks to use on the A & B crankshaft sprockets. There are timing marks on the A sprocket, the B sprocket, the crankshaft pulley - all point in different directions. There is an alignment mark on the engine at about 10 o'clock and one on the lower timing belt cover.

Please can you tell me which I use when installing first the B belt and then the A belt.

The crankshaft pulley mark and the timing belt cover don't work (could not turn over the engine gently by hand). Initial belt failure snapped one Exhaust rocker - but replaced.

Thanks Robin
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi welcome to JA.com.I will answer your question the best I can,

graphic

graphic

Set up as shown if you should need further assistance please let me know be happy to assist

Kind regards Greg

Need further assistance Just ask.
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have these diagrams already thanks.

What I need to confirm is that it is only the notch on the rear B-belt sprocket that is used to indicate TDC for installing both the B & A-belts.

The notches on the A-belt sprocket, the inter sprocket plate, the crankshaft pulley and the lower timing belt cover (plastic) are NOT used.

I have pictures in a pdf file at to clarify what I mean.

http://www.pilogic.com/temp/ShogunTimingMarks1.pdf

When installing the A-belt, does it matter if the crankshaft is at TDC or TDC + one full rotation?, provided the cam and pump sprockets are correctly aligned?.

Regards Robin

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Robin.

The marks should all line up together just like you shown in the photos .

I have an 4D56b in the shop i will remove the cover set her up and take a few photos
and post them here for you to see .

Regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wait.

So the other timing marks in the 2nd picture are not required at all.

What about my TDC or TDC + one turn question?.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

All marks have to be lined up from the main cam and crankshaft belt they have to be marked as shown ,on the bottom sprocket the the outer sprocket is not needed
graphic
start here with the main crank.

graphic
Diesel pump mark.
graphic

Cam sprocket

graphic

Balance shaft sprocket if this is not lined up with the TDC then your engine will rock at idle.

graphic

Oil pump mark up as shown .

If toy have the cam and crank with the pump set up correctly and the other smaller incorrectly it will still start but engine will rock at idle so its important to have it set up with the timing on the main belt .

Kind regards Greg

Need further assistance please let me know.
Greg, Technician
Experience: 17 years shop owner, 27 year Import technician