Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

2005 Mitsubishi Galant: blower stopped working on all speeds..ac

Customer Question

2005 Mitsubishi Galant blower stopped working on all speeds. But AC does come on
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

Doug C :

Doug C :

The blower fans have a tendency to fail causing a high voltage drop at the connector. This in turn causes a second problem, a high resistance point near the harness connector which melts the connector and wiring.

Doug C :

There are two issues that you will run into the majority of the time with this vehicles AC fan.

Doug C :

You can confirm this by removing the electrical connector on the bottom of the blower fan in the passenger side foot well. If the connector is distorted or melted, of the wiring right against the connector appears damaged, you will need to cut about 3" from the harnessand replace the connector.
In most cases this problem will return however if the blower fan isnot replaced.

Customer:

Is the blower fan an expensive repair at the dealership?

Doug C :

It is not terribly expensive, however the harness repair will add some expense. I can get you an accurate price range in just a moment

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX take a look at the connector, I did locate that below the glove box.

Doug C :

You would expect about a $275 repair bill if you needed the blower motor and the connector replaced. This consists of the cost of the blower, $161 retail, the cost of a repair harness (about $10), and one hour labor to cover the fan replacement and soldering in the replacement harness/connector

Doug C :

If you are handy with a soldering iron you can repair the harness yourself and often buy yourself 6 months if the harness is found to be melted (the blower motor rarely fails to the point of not working, it usually fails just in such a way that it damages the connector enough to cause the blower to not work).... eventually both will need replacement though

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX daughter's first used car purchase and trying to help her out with it. She has had it about a year and really loves the car. I am pretty impressed with it so far with its ride and handling for a inexpensive car

Doug C :

It is a great car, especially for the value. Its reliability has kept it in production actually.... itwas slated for replacement as early as 2009, but the rental car companies trust themso much they keep over ordering forcing Mitsubishi to keep them in production.... if they can handle rental fleet abuse, they can handle about anything :)

Customer:

There is not a Blower motor resistor that goes or anything is there? I have had that happen twice on my wife's Dodge Durango

Doug C :

There is a blower motor resistor, however two things to keep in mind on this.... there are three different levels of AC system in this vehicle depending on trim level, and two of the three have a high speed over ride relay which bypasses the resistor.... meaning a totally failed blower resistor in 2 out of 3 systems will still have high speed.
Additionally.... they do not fail very commonly on this vehicle. The first thing you need to check out is that connector.... I am pretty confident you will find an issue witht he connector (may even cause the fan to work from unplugging/replugging the connector temporarily). This is the most common issue andneeds to be checked first

Customer:

Thanks Doug, I appreciate the info. I will give that a try, Is the blower motor replacement a hard repair for a average mechanical ability person. It looks like th

Customer:

Like three torx screws holding the outer housing in place to get at it

Doug C :

No it is quite easy if you have a 1/4" socket set. You will need only a 8mm socket, extension and ratchet to change the motor. You can use the torx center if you like, however I find the 8mm socket to be much easier.... additionally if your torx set is screwdriver type, you will run into some clearance issues depending on the length of the screwdriver.

Customer:

great, I will start with the connector, thanks again

Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

Fantastic..... sorry I can not post to the chat (my end closed when you clicked the accept button), but we can continue here.

There is a service kit that replaces the connector as long as you have the T shape connector ( -- | ) which you should on your 2005.

I will need to do a little digging to get a part number for you, as it is not listed in the regular parts catalog and I do not have the number off the top of my head. I will post back with part number and price ASAP though.
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Okay thanks for your patience. For 2004-2005 Galant you would want to order part number 9080A012 which has a full retail price of $26 (can be ordered a bit cheaper online, check www.mentormitsubishi.com).
It will come with about 8" lead which is plenty of extra wire.... just cut 3" off the factory harness beyond the first burn mark (if 1" behind the connector is damaged, cut off 4 ") then solder the wiring harness in and shrink-tube the connections.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Doug,

Thanks again I just found it on ebay for $22. I really appreciate the help. I will definately use your service again with other problems that arise.
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
No problem at all I am glad to help. If you need anything in the future I would be happy to assist you again; just put my name in the question to catch my attention if you wish to deal with me again.

Thanks for the bonus and thank you for using Just Answer!