Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Galant GS The code PO421 Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency

The code PO421 Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)(5). What kind of repairs am I looking at?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 3 years ago.

Doug C :

Is this the 2.4L four cylinder engine?
Do you have your VIN available?

Customer:

No 3.8 6cyc, 4A3AB36S76E024653

Doug C :

Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX moment while I check a few things.... in the meantime do you know your current mileage (roughly)?

Customer:

51,000

Doug C :

Thanks

Doug C :

Just another few moments

Doug C :

Thank you for your patience.

P0421 and P0431 are fairly common occurrences on this vehicle. The codes are indicating a material breakdown of the catalytic converter on the firewall side (P0421) or radiator side (P0431) of the engine..............

Doug C :

What is happening is the air fuel readings are being taken in front of and behind each pre-cat, and the readings are not dis-similar enough to indicate that the catalysts are working properly. Because this is an emission failure, the light is turned on and these code(s) are set

Doug C :

The bad news here is that these are very expensive on this vehicle (several hundred dollars for the parts alone) due to the pre-cat converters being builtinto the manifolds. Labor is nothing to overlook either as the rear one (the one you have failing) is quite a bear to change as well...........

Doug C :

The good news is that the catalytic converter and pre-cat converters are covered under your factory warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles, both of which you are well under

Doug C :

What you will need to do is contact your Mitsubishi dealer and have this repaired under your factory warranty which will incur no charge to you at all.

Doug C :

At the same time, if you have any other minor issues with the car you will want to bring it to the dealerships attention now, as your complete bumper-to-bumper warranty (5 year 60k mile) is in effect until July 9th of this year.... so time is getting close on the bumper to bumper coverage

Customer:

Thanks the news is not great but atleast I know where I stand.

Doug C :

It isn't terribly bad news.... you will be out of your vehicle for probably a day, but that is it. It takes about 2-3 hours to change this part out.

Doug C :

Again this will be at absolutely no cost to you; the vehicle is safe to drive in the mean time as well

Customer:

Thanks

Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician