Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT: pushing..I didnt get the owners manual

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT and the battery went dead and after putting in a new battery the radio said CODE I was pushing different buttons on the radio because I didn't get the owners manual when I purchased the vechicle and now the display window says OFF. Help. What can I do to fix my radio.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 3 years ago.

Doug C :

Doug C :

I can help you with this.

Doug C :

There are two problems we need to fix here; first we need to get your radio out of "oFF" status and back to "codE" status so we can unlock your radio, second we need to retrieve the code for your radio so we can properly unlock it

Doug C :

To get the radio out of "oFF" status you will need to do the following:

Insert key in ignition and turn to ACC or ON
Turn all accessories off (AC, headlights, etc)
Turn the radio on (so that "oFF" is displayed)
Wait for one hour.

After one hour passes, the radio display will go blank. At this point you can turn the radio on again and "codE" will be displayed again.

Note that you can NOT touch the ignition key or any radio buttons during this wait time or the timer resets and you will have to wait another hour. If the radio display is still on (reading "oFF"), the time has not passed yet, just keep waiting until it goes blank.

Doug C :

Once the radio is back to "codE" status we can unlock the radio, but first we need the proper unlock code. To get the proper unlock code I will need the serial number and if possible the radio model number from the sticker on the chassis of the radio.
To access this sticker, you will need to remove the trim panel from around the radio. There are two philips screws on the bottom of the panel, pointing upward into the panel below the AC controls. Remove these screws.
Once the screws are out, grab the bottom edge of the panel and slowly rock it outward. The top is attached with two steel clips. Go slowly, if you rush these upper clips are notorious for breaking the panel, the dash board, or both.
Once out of the way, the sticker will be located on the top left front corner of the radio. It is a white sticker and the botXXXXX XXXXXne will read: "SERIAL NO.:________".
I will need the serial number EXACTLY as it appears on the sticker, and if possible the model number (MRXXXXXX or similar)

Doug C :

Provide those numbers for me and I willr etrieve an unlock code for you and give instructions on how to input it properly.

Customer:

The serial number for the radio is MR337276

Customer:

The radio model number is XXXXX

Customer:

Sorry the numbers are backwards the model is MR337276 and the serial number is XXXXX

Doug C :

Hi, sorry for the delay it took me a few minutes to free up

Doug C :

Give me just a few moments to validate those numbers for you

Doug C :

Okay your code is going to be 3012

Doug C :

To input the code, first make sure the display reads "codE" by performing the procedure I typed last night.

Doug C :

Then input the code using preset buttons 1-4... each preset button increases the corresponding digit of the code by increments of one... so for your code you would do the following:

Doug C :

Push preset button one 4 times (0-1-2-3)
Push preset button two 1 time (0)
Push preset button three 2 times (0-1)
Push preset button four 3 times (0-1-2)

You should end up with 3012 on the display

Doug C :

At this point you will want to push your unlock button; this varies by radio but is always either CD, AMFM or TAPE. There is no penalty for pushing the wrong one as long as your code is displayed properly, so you can just push each one once the code is in, and the radio will beep and turn on when it unlocks.

Customer:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IT WORKED

Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician