Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder How do I replace the door check

How do I replace the door check back on my 2007 Mitsubishi Ecliplse Spyder?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 3 years ago.

Doug C :

Doug C :

In order to change the door check on this car, you will need to remove the inner door panel from the door.
Once off, you will remove the door speaker to access the door check.

Doug C :

Remove the two 10mm bolts on the door opening, then the two 10mm bolts on the door frame while holding the check from inside, through the speaker hole.

Doug C :

Remove the check and any debris in the bottom of the door (assuming it fell apart) to prevent any rattles.

Doug C :

Removing the door panel on this car is not a lot of fun, but is not too bad if you go slow, take your time.

Doug C :

You will need to remove the philips screw in the center of the inner release handle, then use a pick to pull the inner handle trim bezel off the door.

Doug C :

The remove the philips screws on the front corner of the door, the rear corner of the door, and the center of the air duct

Doug C :

Use a flat edge prying tool to release the inner pull-handle from the door panel (it is two pieces that will split in half). This panel is prone to break, so go slowly

Doug C :

Once the trim panel is off, remove the two 10mm bolts attaching the back half of the pull handle and door panel to the door frame.

Doug C :

Once out, use another flat edge prying tool to pop the lower edge of the door panel loose (the remainder is held on with plastic pop fasteners), then slowly pull away from the door to release the pop fasteners

Doug C :

Some may stay in the door panel while some will remain in the door frame; you will need to remove and reattach all to the door panel for reassembly.

Watch the small rubber trim piece that goes along the top of the door by the delta glass, this will fall out during panel removal.

Doug C :

Once out of the way, just four philips screws hold the door speaker and frame on the door then you can reach the door check.

Doug C :

It sounds like a lot of work, but you can have it done in a half hour your first time most likely.

The only variable is you may not have a screw in your air duct on your door panel; this was added later... if yours isn't there just skip that step.

Doug C :

If you have not sourced one yet, the door check costs $31 per side and is available from your local Mitsubishi dealer, or online at www.mentormitsubishi.com. The current part number is XXXXX

If you have any questions about the process let me know

Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
Expert:  Doug replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.