Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi endeavor: blower motor..quit working..replaced ac relay

mitsubishi endevor blower motor quit working, checked blower to battery it is good wires going to blower shorted fixed them but still won't work replaced ac relay didnt fix things to try next
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 3 years ago.

Doug C :

Do you have a multimeter for some quick testing?

Customer:

yes but not right now

Doug C :

No problem. The wiring that was shorted, was this the connector where it plugs into the blower motor, was it melted and deteriorated there?

Customer:

yes

Doug C :

Thanks.
You mentioned a dash monitor is working... do you mean you have the info display that shows AC control, and that the blower speed display is working?

Customer:

yes

Doug C :

Thanks

Doug C :

When the wiring was repaired, did you install a new connector to the end of the wiring, and replace wiring if necessary?

Customer:

it melted the plastic connector i removed it checked voltage to the wire push connectors and there wasn,t any

Doug C :

Okay thanks. I apologize for the questions, I just want to be sure we are on the same page with what happened

Customer:

thanks

Doug C :

The problem with the wiring melting at the blower fan is very common on this vehicle and we have to repair these harnesses all the time.

Doug C :

Did it appear that the wires had fused together?

Customer:

yes

Doug C :

Thanks.

Doug C :

When these harnesses melt there are three possible outcomes:
Wiring needs repair
Wiring needs repair and blower motor is destroyed (internal wiring damage from heat)
Wiring needs repair and fuse pops from wiring fusing together

Doug C :

Since you have checked for power at the blower fan connector and saw none, we can assume the fuse has popped either for the power supply or for the relay that controls the power supply to the fan

Doug C :

Both of these fuses are located in the in-dash fuse box, which is located in the drivers dash end-cap (Accessible only with the door open)

Doug C :

Fuse 20 (7.5A) is the relay control fuse, and fuse 6 (30A) is the power supply fuse for the blower

Doug C :

You should be looking at a popped #6 most likely, then we can recheck the voltage at the connector; if it is restored we can plug it in and give it a try; if it pops again the blower fan is damaged internally

Customer:

i checked the fuses with an ome meter and the showed condinuity but i wasn,t sure what fuse so i checked them all

Doug C :

We want to double check this #6 30A... pull it out and give a visual inspection. If it is OK, then we will need to test for voltage on either side of the fuse (using the metal tabs on the top of the fuse)

Doug C :

If there is no voltage at the blower fan, and your wiring was properly repaired, this fuse will be blown... it is possible the link behind it could be blown however it is very unlikely that it would blow and not the fuse

Customer:

i will double check the fuse and wiring to make sure however it will have to be tomorow thanks for you help if its the link behind the fuse where is it located

Doug C :

Just a moment, let me see if I have a diagram of it's location

Doug C :

Also, do you have a rear blower fan? If you do this is powered off the same link so if it works the link is OK

Customer:

no we do not

Doug C :

Okay, no problem

Doug C :

Okay the supply is driven off of fusible link #1 which is the 80A link in the relay box by the battery. It is very very unlikely this is blown without the 30A blowing first... additionally you would likely have some issues with the dome light if it were blown.
Here is the 30A we are primarily concerned with:

Full Size Image

If this is 100% confirmed OK, next thing is to probe the tabs on the top of the fuse to make sure there is voltage on boths sides of the fuse with it installed and the key on/ac turned on. If there is, then the wiring repair either did not go well, or the check for voltage at the connector for the fan was inaccurate

Customer:

thanks

Doug C :

No problem, let me know what you find and if you need additional steps (depending on what you find), let me know

Customer:

ok thanks

Doug C :

You're welcome, keep me posted, and good luck!

Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician