Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

2000 ECLIPSE: REMOVING..REMOVE THE BOLTS FROM THE FLYWEEL FIRST

I AM HAVING PROBLEMS REMOVING THE TRANSMISSION FROM A 2000 ECLIPSE 3.0L. DO I NEED TO REMOVE THE BOLTS FROM THE FLYWEEL FIRST? IF I DO, WHERE CAN GET THAT ZISE SOCKET? THE BOLTS HEAD ARE 10 POINTS.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

Doug C :

Is this a manual transmission?
Are you only able to move the transmission a short distance from the engine?

Customer:

YES AND YES

Doug C :

Great

Doug C :

You haven't pried too hard on it yet have you?

Customer:

YES

Doug C :

Okay

Doug C :

Hopefully not too much damage was done here... if you pried real hard you are probably going to need to replace the pressure plate here......

Doug C :

The way this clutch works is it is a pull-type clutch as opposed to a standard push clutch

Customer:

O NOT THAT HARD

Doug C :

Because of this, the pressure plate needs to be pulled away at to release the clutch, as opposed to a push style where pressure is pushed onto inverted springs

Doug C :

The way this pulling is done is the throwout bearing is engaged to the pressure plate; this is what is holding the two together right now

Doug C :

In order to separate the transmission, we need to release the throwout bearing from the pressure plate

Doug C :

So the first thing you are going to want to do is bolt the engine and transmission back together (just one bolt is sufficient, we just want them flush together.

Customer:

OK

Doug C :

Then position the engine/transmission so that the front of the transmission is facing upwards a bit (rock it back toward the rear cylinder head) We need to do this since it is on the ground and you can not work from 'below' the vehicle

Doug C :

on the front (radiator) side of the transmission, there will be a rubber plug, about 2" diameter, you need to remove this plug by prying it out

Doug C :

Using a flashlight, look into the hole and you should see the throwout bearing where it meets the pressure plate. We are going to need to slide a long flat head screwdriver in there in between these spots

Doug C :

Give me just a moment I believe I have a diagram of this

Customer:

OK

Doug C :

Ah, even better, it has the procedure to release it on there too, just a second

Doug C :

Full Size Image

And here are some pictures of what it looks like after it has detached for reference:
Full Size Image

Doug C :

Once the bearing releases (it will be obvious as the fork will spring forward when it releases) you can then unbolt the transmission and they will separate

Customer:

?I HAVE THE ENGINE /TRANSMISSION HANGING FROM AN ENGINE HOIST

Doug C :

No problem, that will work fine too, you just may need a helper to hold it steady while you pop the bearing loose

Doug C :

Now be aware that the more prying that is done on it, the more often the retaining ring jams up and it may be more difficult than normal to remove

Doug C :

As long as you didn't go animal on it you should still be able to reuse the plate and bearing though. Just inspect the wire ring on the pressure plate for kinks/damage... if anything looks out of place, replace the pressure plate or bearing as needed

Customer:

OK I WILL DO IT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INFO.

Doug C :

No problem at all!

Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician