Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

2001 mitsubishi eclipse: i need a diagram of the shift solenoids

i need a diagram of the shift solenoids on a 2001 mitsubishi eclipse so i can tell which ones are c and d. i have the parts, and the pan is off the tranny right now but i dont know which ones to change out of the 5 soleniods that are there
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

Mitsubishi does not letter their shift solenoids; if you have trouble code numbers that referenced C and D I can tell you which solenoids they and which ones those are.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes please tell me which ones cause i have the pan off the tranny right now i see that there is three solenoids on the driver side and two on the passenger side of the tranny and i need to replace c and d.
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Right.... as I mentioned Mitsubishi does not letter the transmission solenoids; the information you received was proprietary... if you have trouble codes we can ID which solenoids they mean, but Mitsubishi does not identify them by letter, only by function.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the codes were po760 and po765 which are c and d and the picture is exactly what i needed is there anything else i need to know about changing them or when im putting it all back together
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Nothing really; if you know which is C and D from that picture then great (I am digging currently looking for a letter reference back to Mitsubishi naming).

Replacement is pretty straight forward once you have the pan off which you already do; just be sure that the fluid is filled properly (measure with the vehicle running and HOT when checking the dipstick) and I strongly recommend you use only Mitsubishi SPIII fluid; there is not known aftermarket fluid that is compatible long-term.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I have to get that fluid at the dealer
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes; SPIII is only available at dealers, and is about $6 a quart. As I mentioned before, there are no known compatible or universal fluids that work in it's place. "Universal" and DEX3 type fluids have a tendency to develop poor shifts that result in premature clutch disc wear, and eventually result in heavy sediment in the torque converter.... not a good thing. I strongly recommend you use only SPIII if you are planning on keeping the vehicle long term to avoid any unnecessary repairs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would it hurt to use the universal fluid just for today to see if the problem is fixed
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
No as long as it is a type 3 compatible fluid (dexron for example); just be aware that the shifting may not be as nice as before, and long term use is bad.... you will need to have the fluid flushed at a dealership afterward to make sure you get it all out (usually about $130 including fluid)