marcpod
marcpod, owner of collision repair advice
Experience:  Basf auto paints, i-car, 18 yrs exp/ collision/mechanical repair/ licensed adjuster
17579256

How do I line up the timing mark on a 2003 mitsubishi eclipse gt v6

how do I line up the timing mark on a 2003 mitsubishi eclipse gt v6
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  marcpod replied 3 years ago.

marcpod :

Welcome here are the timing marks I will send the procedure for install

marcpod :

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

REMOVAL SERVICE POINTS
<> CRANKSHAFT PULLEY REMOVAL

CAUTION: Use only the specified special tools, or a damaged pulley damper could result.

marcpod :

Use special tools MB990767 and MD998715 to remove the crankshaft pulley from the crankshaft.

<> TIMING BELT REMOVAL

CAUTION: Never turn the crankshaft counterclockwise.

marcpod :

1. Turn the crankshaft clockwise to align each timing mark and to set the number 1 cylinder to compression top dead center.

2. If the timing belt is to be reused, chalk an arrow on the flat side of the belt, indicating the clockwise direction.

3. Loosen the center bolt of the tensioner pulley, then remove the timing belt.

INSTALLATION SERVICE POINTS
>>A<< AUTO-TENSIONER INSTALLATION

marcpod :

1. While holding the auto-tensioner with your hand, press the end of the pushrod against a metal surface (such as the cylinder block) with a force of 98 - 196 N (22 - 44 pound) and measure how far the pushrod is pushed in. Standard value: Within 1 mm (0.04 inch) A: Length when no force is applied B: Length when force is applied A - B: Amount pushed in

2. If it is not within the standard value range, replace the auto-tensioner. CAUTION:

• Place the auto-tensioner perpendicular to the jaws of the vice.

• If there is a plug at the base of the auto-tensioner, insert a plain washer onto the end of the auto-tensioner to protect the plug.

marcpod :

Place two blocks in a vice as shown in the illustration, and then place the auto-tensioner in the vice. CAUTION: Never compress the pushrod too fast, or it may be damaged

marcpod :

1. Slowly compress the pushrod of the auto-tensioner until pin hole A in the pushrod is aligned with pin hole B in the cylinder.

2. Insert the setting pin into the pin holes once they are aligned. NOTE: If replacing the auto-tensioner, the pin will already be inserted into the pin holes of the new part. CAUTION: Do not remove the setting pin from the auto-tensioner.

3. Install the auto-tensioner to the engine. >>B<< TIMING BELT INSTALLATION

marcpod :

1. Align the timing marks on the camshaft sprockets with those on the rocker cover and the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket with that on the engine block as shown in the illustration. CAUTION: The camshaft sprocket (right bank) can turn easily due to the spring force applied, so be careful not to get your fingers caught.

2. Install the timing belt by the following procedure so that there is no deflection in the timing belt between each sprocket and pulley.

1. Crankshaft sprocket

2. Idler pulley

3. Camshaft sprocket (Left bank)

4. Water pump pulley

5. Camshaft sprocket (Right bank)

6. Tensioner pulley

1. Turn the camshaft sprocket (Right bank) counterclockwise until the tension side of the timing belt is firmly stretched. Check all the timing marks again

marcpod :
  • Use special tool MD998767 to push the tensioner pulley into the timing belt, then temporarily tighten the center bolt.
  • marcpod :
  • Use special tool MD998769 to turn the crankshaft 1/4 turn counterclockwise , then turn it again clockwise until the timing marks are aligned. CAUTION: When tightening the center bolt, be careful that the tensioner pulley does not turn wig, the bolt.
  • marcpod :

1. Loosen the center bolt of the tensioner pulley. Use special tool MD998767 and a torque wrench to apply the tension torque to the timing belt as shown in the illustration. Then tighten the center bolt to the specified torque. Standard value: 4.4 Nm (39 inch lbs.) Tightening torque: 48 ±6 Nm (36 ±4 ft. lbs.)

2. Remove the setting pin that has been inserted into the auto-tensioner.

3. Turn the crankshaft clockwise twice to align the timing marks.

marcpod :

1. Wait forat least five minutes , then check that the auto-tensioner pushrod extends within the standard value range. Standard value (A): 3.8 - 5.0 mm (0.15 - 0.20 inch)

2. If not, repeat the operation in steps (5) to (9).

3. Check again that the timing marks of the sprockets are aligned. >>C<< ENGINE SUPPORT BRACKET INSTALLATION

marcpod :

Tighten the right engine support bracket mounting bolts in the order shown in the illustration.

>>D<< CRANKSHAFT PULLEY INSTALLATION

marcpod :

Use special tools MB990767 and MD998715 to install the crankshaft pulley.

INSPECTION
    AUTO-TENSIONER

marcpod :

• Check the auto-tensioner for possible leaks.

• Check the pushrod for cracks.

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

Full Size Image

marcpod :

that is the procedure

Experience: Basf auto paints, i-car, 18 yrs exp/ collision/mechanical repair/ licensed adjuster
    Expert:  marcpod replied 3 years ago.
    What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.