Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Mitsubishi: I have lost my keys

Customer Question

I have lost my keys to my Mitsubishi Outlander.
Where can i get a replacement? How long will it take? How much will it cost?
The car is in Roseville at a family members place.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.

For a 2005 you should have the immobilizer system installed (larger key shape, not the flat '80s car' metal key)

The immobilizer system in this car requires a special key that has to be programmed to the vehicle in order to start the car.
While you can find aftermarket keys that will work, they are not regularly stocked items at most locksmiths, and because of this you will need to go to a dealership for the fastest repair.

The key costs approximately $87, and again will need to be programmed to the car in order for it to start the engine. Most dealerships charge a half hour labor for this service (about $45 here), and the vehicle MUST be present to have this service performed.

If towing the vehicle is not a desirable option, you may call around to some mobile locksmiths and see if they have Mitsubishi Immobilizer support and can come to you to program the key once one is sourced. Be aware that locksmiths, especially mobile ones, tend to charge a lot more than dealerships for this service.