Mike V.
Mike V., Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models. Nissan and Subaru factory trained.

2002 Mitsubishi Galant: V6..check engine light..tool..those sensors

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant (2500L V6 24valve) from Japan and check engine light on
diagnostic tool code say "CRANK A. SNSR" and "CAM POS. SNSR"
car have a slight miss at idle and my mechanic say with those sensors needed car should react more with backfiring and hard start and thinks its an electrical problem
Any suggestions?
ps switched computer and same reaction with engine light

help thanks John
Hi there! How many miles on the car?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
64,364 miles
Have the sensors already been replaced? Sorry, I am not understanding completely.
Let me know!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sensors have not been replaced as yet
Ok, I would change the crank sensor and see if the lights clear.
The cam sensor is part of the distributor on this model, but sometimes a faulty crank sensor will cause both codes.
If it comes back with just the cam sensor, then there may be an issue with the cam sensor or the timing belt itself.
If it lost cam sensor signal, then the car would not run.,Most of the time if it is a timing issue, the car will also give misfire codes.
I would start with the crank sensor and take it from there.
Also, if he has a scope,he can check signals from both and make sure they are in sync. If not, this would show the timing belt being off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the Crank Sensor available in the USA and would the part supplier need the part number

thanks John
I am unsure if the part it available in the US to be honest.
I don't believe the supplier would need the number of the part, but may need the VIN off the car to make sure they are supplying you with the correct part.
We have the 3.0 here and it looks like your is a 2.5L possibly.