Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

mitsubishi Galant ES code to reset radio

code to reset radio
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 3 years ago.

Doug C :

Hi, I can help you with this

Doug C :

Does the radio currently display "codE" when it is turned on?
Is the vehicle present to get some information from the radio?

Customer:

yes

Doug C :

Great.

To get the information I need you will need at most a flashlight and flat edge screwdriver, but often you won't even need those.

Doug C :

I need the serial number located on the top left front corner of the chassis. To get this, we need to remove the trim bezel off the front of the radio/ac area of the dash

Doug C :

The trim bezel just snaps into place with 4 push-in fasteners, one at each corner. These bezels are notorious for breaking, so try using slow pressure to pull the panel out

Doug C :

Often the top two fasteners will break, but the lower two will not.. which is OK, it will still fasten tightly.

If you can not pull the bezel out by grasping the pocket area below the radio, use a flat edge screwdriver to gently persuade it

Doug C :

Once off, the white serial number sticker will be just barely visible on the top left front corner of the radio. If it is hard to read, blow on it to remove the dust and use a flashlight

Doug C :

If you still can not get a good look, you can partially remove the radio by sliding it past the little 'tabs' on either side that hold it in place (it is not bolted in) to get a better view

Customer:

there no screw on the radio or trim

Doug C :

Correct, there are no screws at all involved

Customer:

how do i get the radio out

Doug C :

You will not need to remove the radio.... only if you can not read the sticker... in which case you will see there are two metal tabs one on either side of the radio, you can just wiggle them past the plastic part of the dash to slide it out some.

You will most likely be able to read the sticker without removing it at all

Doug C :

I need to step out while you work on that.

If you do end up needing to pull the radio forward, try to get the model number as well (MRXXXXXX) in addition to the serial number (SERIAL NO.:__________)
It is not 100% necessary, but will be helpful if you are pulling the radio out anyway.

Once you provide the serial number and if possible the model, it will recover your unlock code and post it back as soon as I have the information for you.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you soon.

Customer:

i think it is 09044159E

Doug C :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX moment

Doug C :

Okay, if you are certain that is the serial number, there are two possible codes for it, depending on the radio model (why the model number was partially important)

Doug C :

If your radio model number is XXXXX then your code is 8612
If your radio model number is XXXXX then your code is 7385

Customer:

just enter this code

Doug C :

To input the code, push the preset buttons 1-4 repeatedly to set the digits (pushing preset on sets the first digit, each push increases the digit by one) then 2-4 for digits 2-4.

Doug C :

Once the code is displayed correctly, push CD< AMFM or TAPE to unlock (it varies by radio)

Doug C :

If the radio displays "ERR1" or similar, the code is incorrect, and try the second one.

Doug C :

If BOTH say "ERR" both are incorrect, and you will need to verify your serial number and model number again

Doug C :

Okay I will be stepping out as I mentioned; if you find there is an issue here, again recheck your serial and model numbers for me and we will go over it when I return from break.
Thanks

Customer:

it is hard to see if the radio is on is there a light out

Customer:

it just beep

Customer:

it said off i turn it on nothing

Customer:

i have to leave now but it still dont work but it dont say code or error it blank enter code and it just beep enter other code the same it beep check the number and it right

Doug C :

Okay if the radio displays off, you will not be able to enter the code; this is why I had asked if it displayed "codE" or not before. When it reads "oFF" this indicates someone has attempted to unlock the radio 3 times and failed.

Before you can even start inputting the code, you will need to clear theft status. To do this you need to leave the ignition key ON with the radio on so that "oFF" is displayed for at least one hour. You may leave the engine running for this if you are unsure if your battery will last that long.
After about one hour passes, "oFF" will disappear. Turn the radio back on and "codE" will appear and you will then be able to enter the code.

Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician