Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1997 Mitsubishi Galant: i think that the fuel pump relay is no good

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Mitsubishi Galant ES. I have a problem with the fuel pump and i think that the fuel pump relay is no good. i tried looking for it but i can't find it. I also read te Manual but it showed me that the relay is inside behind the radio. but their is no relay for a 1997 but 1998 has it on top of POWER CONTROLE UNIT. PLEASE CAN YOU HELP AND LET ME KNOW WHERE IS THE FUEL PUMP RELAY FOR A 1997 MITSUBISHI GALANT ES!!!
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

It is the same as the MFI or main relay. It is G in the second picture.

graphic
View Full Image

graphic
View Full Image
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

CAN YOU SEND ME A EXACT IMAGE OF THE FUEL PUMP RELAY PLZ.

ALSO I AM A LITTLE CONFUSE FROM THE SECOND IMAGE OF G

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
THE SECOND IMAGE I SENT OVER ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE. PICTURE G IS THE MAIN RELAY
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. its a little bit hard to see. can you just explain to me on how i can locate the main relay. also this images are for a 1997 GALANT right..
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Just remove the right hand side kick panel of the drivers side center console and it should be right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok ill let you no for any further questions
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
SOunds good!

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hey my other question is that i pull out a a relay. But not sure if its the right one. It looks like two square fuse plugs. They have numbers and letters.

Also i pulled them out of a 1998 galant and mine is a 1997 i was wondering if it matter the year??

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

If you are in fact on the right relay and the two relays match exactly, YES.. it will work!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok i already changed the relay. And the car starts but after 2 or 5 minutes the car would shut off??? im guessing its not the relay?? or WHAT

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Does the engine start right back up again after is stalls?

Does the engine continue to run with starting fluid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The car doesn't stalls it just starts up but after 2or 5 minute it would turnoff on its own.

and noi haven't used starting fluid..

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Can you keep the engine running with your foot on the gas pedal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the car woud stay on put then the car would turn off on its own

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Are there any codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no there is no codes
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
And no security lights on or flashing on the dash?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Are you loosing fuel pressure when this happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i dont know let me check it then ill get back at you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no i dont thinks so but let me check it again and ill get back at you
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
sound good!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i check the spark plugs and there not making any spark when i try starting the car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

So no spark at all?

And the check engine light does come on with the key on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no no sparks

check engine light when the car is on or when i put the key foward

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Check the power supply, ground and trigger signal with the engine cranking. The power supply is the Black/White wire on the 2-way distributor connector. The ground is the Black wire at pin 5 of the 6-way distributor connector. The trigger is the White wire at pin 6 of the 6-way connector. The preferred way to check the trigger signal is with a lab scope. It will be either a square wave or a shark fin type of pattern. An alternative method is with a logic probe. Check for a power pulse. If all three are OK, replace the distributor assembly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i changed the relay.

i was wondering if you can send me a diagram of a electric for the fuel pump.

also there is no current from the relay to the fuel pump unless the car is starterling (trying to turn on)

i was also wondering if by any chance the pcm is failing??

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

It is possible that that PCM is failing. But more often than not, it usually just turns out to be a bad input to the computer.

Here is a wiring diagram.

graphic
View Full Image
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what do you mean "that it could turn out to be a bad input to the computer"?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
The computer on your vehicle works just like your home computer. If it does not have the correct inputs, it will not send the correct outputs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i appreciate everyting you done.

but the question is why im not getting any signal to the fuel pump from the relay

also what would you sugest me to get a book for this kind of car so i can get more information.

Can you also tell me where is the fuel pump check connector?

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
but the question is why im not getting any signal to the fuel pump from the relay.

THis is because the relay is not getting turned on by the computer.

Sure. Alldata.com, Mitchell on demand or even chilton.

I will look that up for you now.