Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Mitsubishi challenger Hi I have 2001 mitsubishi challenger

Hi I have 2001 mitsubishi challenger .4wd light flasing .I found no power to erg solenoid valve. what is the resond . XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

The majority of the time when you have this issue it is caused by the freewheel clutch solenoid pack, located on the right hand front fender. It is a pair of solenoids mounted together on a bracket. This solenoid pack is what controls the actuator where the front diff switch is located that you replaced.

To properly diagnose the problem however you will need to scan the codes in the 4WD system. The flashing 4WD light is the equivalent to a service engine soon light, just for the 4WD system.
To scan the system you will need either a Mitsubishi scan tool or other high-end scan tool capable of accessing the 4WD ecu. The alternative to this is to scan the codes manually. To do this you will need to locate the OBDII connector and connect pins 1 and 4 together and turn the ignition key on and the center diff light will flash the codes at you.... one long flash followed by two short flashes would indicate a 12, for example.

Once you have the codes set in the system that are causing the light to flash, you will be better equipped to correct the problem, as there are many factors that can cause malfunctions in the 4WD system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my problem is no power to the solenoid wire (blue/yellow). how to check.wheres the ECU located and 4wd fuse & relays.pl send the electrical diagrame
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Double check your wire, it should be Blue/White. If you never have voltage here, in all likelihood you have either damaged wiring or a failed 4WD ecu. While it is possible the fused power to the 4WD ecu could be blown, it is highly unlikely that you would still have fault indication.
It should be known that this wire will NOT have voltage at all times.

There are no relays in the system, as there is no need for them (entire system is low voltage).

4WD ecu is fused by #7 and #11 fuses in the in-dash fuse box, both are 10A.
Worth noting is a failure of fuse #7 will result in an air conditioning malfunction and an inoperable rear defogger.... so if those work, the fuse is good.
A failure of fuse #11 will result in malfunction of the ABS, dome light, and power locks systems... so if those work, the fuse is good.

I would still strongly advise that you recover the codes from the system just to be sure you know what it "thinks" is wrong, just as an aid.

Here is the diagram you requested for the entire system:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

According the fuse board under No 7 is 15A - WIPPER and No 11 is 10A - HONE.

The vehicle I got is Mitzubushi Challenger 2001 , engine 6G72 Model no : K96WGRHERS

Model : (PAO45- 2001)

Where is the ECU is located.

The perticular fuse board in my vehicle is located behind the right side dash board which is closer to the accelerator.

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
That is peculiar, however the fuse box designations do change from year to year whereas the schematic is not updated. Just use the shared circuits I listed above to test them if your fuse map differs.

The 4WD ecu is mounted in the kick panel to the side of the glovebox. It is a small box with a single connector on it.

Edited by Doug C on 1/21/2011 at 2:02 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi,

I have removed the MR222642 pl can you advise how to test this unit

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
This unit can not be bench tested.
You need to use a scan tool to manually activate the outputs and monitor the inputs.

Alternately, since you are primarily concerned with no voltage at the solenoid, you can check the output wire at the ecu for voltage on and off as you set the drive line shifter between 2H and 4L/4H and creep forward to make sure it alternates as you change position. If it does not, the ecu driver for the solenoid is possibly failed. If it does, then the voltage should be checked again at the solenoid. If it is not at the solenoid, you have damaged wiring between them. If it does, you are headed the wrong direction, and again should just read the codes to see what is failing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
set the drive position 2H and 4H still no pwer to the solenoid .so I replaced the ecu still same.ecu connect Pin 3 + ok. Blu/white wire

Continuity

ok Pin 3 to s/v
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

again checked the power without ECU no power to the ECU connector .pl can you send the MR 222642 pin configuration .

connector yell/red

yel/red

blu/wht

blk/wht

blu/yell

yellow

what is the power line to ecu?.where it is come from?

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
The pin configuration was in the diagram I already sent you.

pin 1 yellow/red freewheel clutch switch input signal (at harness ground when switch closed)
pin 2 yellow/red 4wd detect switch input (at harness ground when switch closed)
pin 3 blue/white 12v power
pin 4 yellow/white VSS signal
pin 6 blue/yellow hi/lo range switch (at harness ground when switch closed)
pin 7 blue/white freewheel solenoid power out
pin 8 black ground

Power to the ecu comes through the ignition switch on the same feed as your rear defogger switch, AC, etc.

The colors sometimes vary by year, so use the pin #s to correlate location to function if you have any differences.
pin 10 yellow/blue ground out to combination meter (turns light on)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mr222642 ECU is not available here .Pl can u advise me any equivalents ECU model number that can use . I can find pajero (NH) 95 ECU models MB series. but I think the unit Pins may be interchanged.

How to check Vss signal? Pin 4 what is the voltage respectively Ground?If it is no vss signal what is the symptom?

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

Did you ever check the codes like I recommended? I highly doubt that you need a ECU. I have seen maybe one of these fail ever.

Pin 4 VSS is your speed sensor signal. You will need an oscilloscope to test this. It is a 12V square wave signal, roughly 5 per second, with increasing range/duration with vehicle speed. If your speedometer works, this should not be a concern.

If you find you do need the ECU. these should be readily available from any dealer. This ECU was used for about 12 years in some markets, and is the same one used in all distributions. US dealers sell this part for about $50. There is no compatible part supercession, it must be this part number... as I said before, these almost never fail, so there has been no reason to update them with newer revisions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

Please can you send a web site or Place to buy this unit MR222642 in usa .

Pin #7 no power to solenoid

Pin#3 power +12v ok

speedo meter is working

if am I accept answer .can I ask quasion any futher or you will be closed this case?

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Sure, go to mentormitsubishi.com, select Service and Part ~> Order Parts.
A TradeMotion website will open, on the left side 1/3 of the way down is a spot to type in the part number manually; insert MR222642 there and select "Mitsubishi" and click search and you will be able to order the item.

If there is no power at #7 at any time, that is pretty suspect.

We can continue talking here either way. Please do click Accept unless you are fully satisfied with my assistance though. And as I said, we can continue talking in either case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What are the other reson to stop power to the pin#7 and what is your doubt
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
A sticking detection switch (4wd, lo/hi) could cause this to occur. I would check pins 2 and 6 and make sure they receive ground on and off as you put the shifter from 2H to 4L and to 4H and no ground when in 2H.
A stuck freewheel engage switch (or possibly disconnected) would cause this as well.

It is a peculiar situation for sure; I don't recall ever having run into one of these that cut power to the solenoid pack without any other symptoms.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260707015736

can I use this OBD to troubleshoot for this vehical

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
No, you will need a scan tool capable of manufacturer systems (TCM, ABS). That unit (and most inexpensive ones) will only read OBDII, which is engine-only.

A unit like that is probably capable of accessing them with the right software, but you have to find the right software (if it even exists).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I use this tool for this vehical? 1. Applications
VAG401 is the higher version based on VAG5053 with powerful function. It can work on VW, AUDI, SEAT and SKODA. With its smart appearance and powerful function, it can be conveniently used and can be run detachedly without PC.
2. Available Functions
? Controller Info
? Fault Codes
? Clear Codes
? Measure Blocks
? Output Tests
? Basic Settings
? Adaptation
? Coding
? Security Access
? Readiness
? Advanced ID
3. Supported Systems
VAG401 can support the following systems:
? Engine
? Auto Trans
? ABS Brakes
? Auto HVAC
? Cent. Elect.
? Airbags
? Steering wheel
? Instruments
With other systems totally over tens here not listed one by one.
4. Professional function.
? Oil Reset
? Srs Reset
? Throttle Adaption
? Mileage Reset
? EEPROM Access
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
No, VAG scan tools only work on VW family cars (VAG= VolkswagenAudiGroup)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how to find the good scanner model. what are the features ?

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
In order to get one that can access TCM and ABS fully (As well as other manufacturer codes) you are going to need to look into high end scan tool. I am not aware of any that will access these systems for under the $1000-1500 range.
I personally recommend Launch units as they are probably the nicest for what they cost. A $1400 Launch will do anything you want to do on a Mitsubishi (program immobilizer, can bus diagnosis, anything).

Otherwise, higher end Pegisys, Snap On, etc.

Did you try shorting pins 1 and 4 of the OBD connector to see if either the ABS or C/D light flashes codes at you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, ill try do it.

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Give it a shot; the newer versions will flash the codes out at you, the older ones some do, some don't.... 01 you might get lucky.

Edited by Doug C on 1/24/2011 at 1:17 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found a fault in the ECU .solenoid drive transistor .I have ordered the ECU .It cost $ 380.00 here. any way doug I need to buy a scanner .Please let me know is this good for 4wd vehical.

Dear Mr Alex

Thank you for your inquiry on my online shop. I am Ms Joy from Bongch Co. Hope you are well.
So glad to know that you have interest in MaxiDiag MD801.

Autel MaxiDiag MD801:

Features
· One tool can do it all-troubleshoot and clear engine, transmission, airbag, and ABS failures
· Global OBD I & OBD II coverage (US, Asian & European)
· Turn off engine, transmission, ABS and airbag warning lights for most USA Domestic, Asian and European vehicles
· Support all nine test modes of the latest J1979 OBD II test specs, including Read Codes, Erase Codes, Live Data, Freeze Frame, I/M Readiness, O2 Mon.Test, On-Board Mon.Test, Component Test and Vehicle Information
· Read/clear codes for Tire Pressure Monitor Systems
· Enhanced OBD II Mode 6
· OBD II repair information
· Display DTC definitions on unit screen
· Retrieve ECU information(VIN, CIN and CVN)
· Data graphing
· Read, store & playback live data
· CAN enabled with no adapters to buy
· Memory/battery backup for off-vehicle data review and analysis
· Extremely easy to use and highly reliable
· Software upgradeable via internet
· Print data via PC-link

Vehicle coverage

Toyota
1994-2008
Renault
1996-2008

Honda
1994-2008
Citroen
1996-2008

Nissan
1994-2008
Peugeot
1996-2008

Mazda
1996-2008
VW/ AUDI
1990-2008

Mitsubishi
1994-2008
BMW & Mini
1993-2008

GM
1984 -2008
Mercedes
1995-2008

Ford
1984-2008
Volvo
1996-2008

Chrysler
1988-2008
Opel
1997-2008

Global OBDII compliant US, European and Asian vehicles

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

I am not familiar with that scanner to be precise, however browsing their website it does look like it will likely do anything you need it to do. While it doesn't specify several computers, that may be just to save space. It does specify ABS, TCM "code" access, so at the very least you will be able to scan and clear codes in those systems, you may not be able to read data lists/live data in those systems, but that, while important, is not as big a deal as being able to read codes out.

It looks like a pretty solid choice; if you do end up getting it I would appreciate if you let me know your opinion, as I have not dealt with this brand scan tool before.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

OBDII connector

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please tell me where is the OBDII connector located?

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
It is just below the dash on the driver side; it is a 16 pin two row connector.

Here is the location on left hand drive models. If you have a right hand drive, it should be roughly a mirror image.

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again,

N light flashing 8 pulses after A/T Temp off and start blinking Engine Yellow Light and N light

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Is there any rhythm to the AT Temp light? How about the ABS light?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Regarding the ABS - there is no indication

About AT Temp light - this is the way its work

N - After 8 pulses A/T temp is off and Engine indicator start to Blink

N - 9 pulse Seat Belt warning is off and SRS is off

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Okay, there are no trouble codes set in either system then.

As unusual as it is, I'd have to agree with you it looks like the ecu is in question then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please send me ECU pinsout (Pin numbers ) layout

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
It is above in the wiring diagram and I posted them individually above as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Register Here

Pl send the ECU connector pin image

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Oh I'm sorry I misunderstood.

The OBD/DLC3 connector isn't going to have anything useful to offer you in this situation; The purpose of grounding those wires is that it activates the self diagnostics on the TCM and ABS systems.

Nonetheless, here is the pin out for the DLC3/OBDII connector:

1 PCM Data (undocumented, scantool connect detect)
4 Ground
5 Ground
7 PCM Data (BUS line)
14 VSS signal
16 Dedicated 12V
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi there

I just driven home from that mitzubishi, got a problem,

Before, the Battery indicator was blinking but now,(The Battery indicator) is totally off

Any reason for that, Help me to solve please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi

Hope you can give me an answer sooner for the above query...please

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

Can you clarify? Are you saying the battery light is not on? I'm not sure what the issue is.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Sorry , made a mistake. The problem was:-

When idling the battary indicater is on and @ 2500 RPM its blinking

At 3000 RPM, battery indicator goes off

I have a dought whether problem is in alternator brush?

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

I would be concerned with a possible diode failure. Brush failure isn't terribly likely as I wouldn't suspect the output to come within range at any rpm if this were the case, but it could be checked out.

Check your belt tension first and foremost, and if all is well there have the alternator tested.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks