Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Eclipse The SRS light is on in my Mitsubishi Eclipse.

The SRS light is on in my Mitsubishi Eclipse. I have been told the only way to find out what is wrong is to go to someone who has a very expensive tester. Is that all I an do?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 5 years ago.

You are correct in that the only way to access the SRS codes is by using a proper SRS scan tool. This can include specialized SRS tools, high-end scan tools, or Mitsubishi factory scan tools. There is no other way to read the codes on this particular model.

For what it is worth, most dealers will charge $45 to read the codes and this is usually enough time to accurately determine the exact problem. Depending on the problem, it may be in your best interests to have it repaired at a shop as well, as even if you know what part is failed, etc, you will need to hook up to a scan tool again to clear the code out in almost all situations. There are very few faults that will go away on their own once the problem is fixed, unlike check engine codes, etc.