Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Mitsubishi eclipse GT convertible My automatic transmission

Customer Question

My automatic transmission is starting to slip. A friend of mine was used to rebuild transmission said I should try to change the filter and powerflush the whole transmission before rebuilding or replacing the transmission. Does that generally help if the trans is not slipping bad?

Also, can you tell me what years/models of car have the same transmission? I don't mind swapping bolt on parts (or torque converter) to make it work. junkyard said only 2001 Eclipse GT will work. I thought maybe other models like galant, sebring, and stratus of the same engine may have the same transmission. Thank you!
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

If a transmission is slipping then changing the fluid is not going to rejuvenate the clutch discs and make them stop slipping. Only rebuilding or replacing will resolve this. The mirage does use the same transaxle but its best to match your part number and get the exact same model from another eclipse. I found many in the 1000-1500$ range. Check www.car-parts.com

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i had a 99 elantra and it started slipping. Then I had the transmissino flushed at a dealership and put Amoil synthetic fluid. It stopped slipping for a few years and came back after maybe 50k mi. I was told old fluid will loose viscocity, hydraulic and cooling (heat transfer) effect and therefore may be one of the reasons transmission start slipping.

It's hard to believe 2001 is internally different than both previous year and the year after. Maybe they had a major design flaw in 2001 that forced them to make an internal change for 2002?
We kind of stated the same thing, I said fluid would not resolve the slip and you said you did this on another model and it came back 50k miles later. So the responses are about the same. The fluid may have helped but it did not forever fix it. Changing the fluid will never hurt, since it may get you a few more miles or no extra miles, It is still a cheap try.