Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

i have a p0421 code on my 02 mistsubishi lancer oz rally..

i have a p0421 code on my 02 mistsubishi lancer oz rally.. the code is the warm up catylist bank.. ive replaced the cat and still the code shows up after reset.. any ideas?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

there was actually a recall on converter issues for your vehicle in which warranty was extended, and then a pcm(powertrain control module) updating as required after converter replacement, depending upon which computer is in your vehicle. You need to take it in so that dealer can see if your car's computer is one of the ones listed in recall so that the updating can be done, which will take care of the light being back on.

Here is recall you can print and take with you:

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer O-Z Rally Edition L4-2.0L SOHC

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Recall - PCM Update for Warm-Up Cat. Converter Melt Down

No: EMR-05-001REVII

DATE: December, 2005

MODEL:
2002-05 Lancer

CATALYTIC CONVERTER - OVERHEATING - EMISSIONS
RECALL CAMPAIGN

This TSB supercedes EMR-05-001REV, issued October 2005, to update the PCM reprogramming database, which eliminates TPS reinitialization, and to update the warranty labor time.

PURPOSE

Some affected vehicles have incorrect parameters in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software that may cause the warm-up catalytic converter to overheat and melt when the vehicle is repeatedly driven at wide-open throttle. For certain 2002-2003 vehicles, new warranty limits will apply to the warm-up catalytic converter, which are described in the CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION and WARRANTY INFORMATION sections of this bulletin.

^For all affected vehicles, reprogram the PCM as described in this bulletin, regardless of the age or mileage of the vehicle.

^If an affected vehicle has a Service Engine Soon (SES) lamp on and DTC P0421 set, also replace the warm-up catalytic converter, using an exhaust manifold repair kit. See warranty details below.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
2002-2005 Lancer models equipped with 2.0L engine (approximately 195,000 vehicles)

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

A letter will be sent to all owners of affected vehicles, telling them to bring their vehicle to a Mitsubishi Motors dealer to have the PCM reprogrammed at no charge, and that if their vehicle has a SES lamp on for failure of the warm-up catalytic converter (DTC P0421), they will also receive a new warm-up catalytic converter.

In addition, owners will be advised that the new warranty coverage for the warm-up catalytic converter will be extended from 8 years/80,000 miles to a limit of 8 years/100,000 miles. Until February 28, 2006, replacement of the warm-up catalytic converter will be free of charge, regardless of vehicle mileage.

After February 28, 2006, all owners (regardless of vehicle mileage) will be entitled to the PCM reflash free of charge. However, warm-up catalytic converter replacement will not be covered under the warranty if a 2002-2003 model has over 100,000 miles (over 80,000 miles for 2004-2005 models). A copy of the customer notification letter is shown in this bulletin.

REQUIRED OPERATIONS

Before starting this campaign procedure, CHECK ON THE WARRANTY SUPERSCREEN to verify that the vehicle is an affected VIN for this campaign and that this campaign procedure has not already been completed.

CAUTION BATTERY VOLTAGE (AS MEASURED AT THE BATTERY POSTS WITHOUT ELECTRICAL LOAD) MUST BE 12.4V OR HIGHER IN ORDER TO REPROGRAM THE PCM.

1.Check the underside of the hood to verify that there is no label previously installed to indicate that this Emissions Recall reprogramming has already been done.

2.Verify that the vehicle's PCM part number is XXXXX in the table in Step 11 of this bulletin.

a.Verify whether the ROM ID is the same as the ROM ID listed in the table in Step 11. If the ROM ID is the same as or higher than the ROM ID in the table, the PCM has already been reprogrammed for this concern.

3.Note any DTCs set in the PCM. Then use the MUT-III to erase all DTCs.

4.Verify that your MUT-III has the most current version of the reprogramming database:

a.Select "Special Function", then select "ECU Reprogramming."

b.Select "Database File Display". The database version is displayed in the top right corner of the screen. Make sure the database version is N05111 or greater..

c.If the database version is less than N05111, go to Step 5.

d.If the database version is N05111 or greater, go to Step 8.

5.Turn the ignition key to OFF and disconnect the MUT-III.

6.Gather the following reprogramming equipment:

-MUT-III/STV Reflash Update CD 12/05 or later

-Memory Card 128 MByte Compact Flash MB991853

-Memory Card Adapter PCMCIA MB991939

-"Engine Compartment/Control Module" Labels p/n MSSF-024G-00

Register Here

7.Install Reflash Update CD 12/05 in the MUT-III laptop. Follow the CD installation instructions.

8.Transfer the reprogramming data from the laptop to the memory card.

9.Remove the memory card from the laptop and install it in the VCI. Connect the VCI to the vehicle. YOU MUST DISCONNECT THE MUT-III LAPTOP.

10.MODELS EQUIPPED WITH ABS: With the ignition key OFF, unplug the ABS fuse (7.5 amp fuse in junction box in passenger compartment).

11.Reprogram the PCM, using automatic reprogramming. For reprogramming details, refer to TSB-03-00-015. It will take up to 20 minutes to complete the reprogramming.

Register Here

NOTE: If the message "ECU at Current Level of VCI" appears, the PCM did not reprogram. Verify that the ROM ID is the same as the ROM ID listed in the table shown.

^If the ROM ID is the same as or higher than the ROM ID in the table, the PCM has been reprogrammed for this concern.

^If it is not, verify that the correct database update is in the MUT-III and was transferred to the memory card, and that the memory card is properly installed in the VCI.

CAUTION DO NOT DISTURB THE HARNESS CABLES OR CONNECTIONS. INTERRUPTION DURING THE PROGRAMMING PROCESS COULD CAUSE THE PCM TO LOSE DATA OR PREVENT FUTURE PCM REPROGRAMMING.

a.After reprogramming is completed, the new ENG ROM ID and new A/T ROM ID will display alternately with the message "Turn IC SW OFF" every four seconds. Note this information. Verify that the new PCM part number and ROM IDs are the same as those listed in the table.

12.If DTC P0421 was set in the PCM, replace the warm-up catalytic converter, using the exhaust manifold repair kit listed in the PARTS INFORMATION section of this bulletin. Refer to Group 17 (for California emissions vehicles) or Group 15 (except California emissions vehicles) in the appropriate service manual for installation instructions.

Register Here

13.Using a ball-point pen, enter the appropriate PCM part number, vendor number, ROM ID #, this recall bulletin number (EMR-05-001), your dealer code, and the current date on the Engine Compartment / Control Module Label (p/n MSSF-024G-00).

14.Carefully remove all dirt and oil from a vacant area near the VECI label on the underside of the hood, and affix the Engine Compartment label.

15.Affix the Control Module label to the PCM.

16.MODELS EQUIPPED WITH ABS: Reinstall the ABS fuse.

Register Here

17.FOR VEHICLES REGISTERED IN CALIFORNIA ONLY: Complete a "VEHICLE EMISSION RECALL - PROOF OF CORRECTION" form (p/n MSSF-106D-00). Give the completed form to the vehicle owner.

NOTE:These forms are available from Relizon at 1-866-980-7000.

PARTS INFORMATION

Register Here

Use the Genuine Mitsubishi Parts shown.

Register Here

WARRANTY INFORMATION

Register Here

Refer to the flowchart shown.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Sample claim screens are shown.

Replacement Parts Storage and Retention:

Retain all replaced catalytic converters for at least five (5) days after the payment of the related campaign claim. The five days begins the day after the claim appears in the "Paid" section of your warranty claim statement. If the part is requested during those five days, you must return the part as indicated on the parts return request letter

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

The images that didnt show up, dont worry about, it is just information that dealer uses that they alreasdy have on file as they are just screen shots of the reprogramming procedure

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my car has over the mileage shown so how much is it going to cost me get this updated?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

It is free of charge per the recall. I have copied that part again and highlighted where it states mileage doesnt affect the free update:

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

After February 28, 2006, all owners (regardless of vehicle mileage) will be entitled to the PCM reflash free of charge. However, warm-up catalytic converter replacement will not be covered under the warranty if a 2002-2003 model has over 100,000 miles (over 80,000 miles for 2004-2005 models). A copy of the customer notification letter is shown in this bulletin

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

if you can provide the 17 digit VIN code, one of our experts has said he will look it up and see if yours is under this recall as far as the computer part number on yours

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

the other expert will pick up from here if you have the VIN code to provide and help with it further as I have to get offline to handle a family emergency. He will be right with you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ja3aj86e02u008306
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your patience, the question was temporarily locked.

Unfortunately your PCM is already updated to the current level; it received the update early in 2006.

Register Here

When you replaced the cat, was this with a new or a used unit?
Did you replace the cat below the vehicle, or the exhaust manifold?
When you reset the service engine light, how long did it take to come back on?

Thanks

Edited by Doug C on 10/20/2010 at 11:11 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
new unit below the vehicle not the exhaust manifold.. ive reset it a couple times and the most recent time i did it took 160 miles before coming on again
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.

Okay, we have a winner now.

The problem unfortunately is that you have replaced the wrong converter. The pre-cat (or "Warm-Up Catalytic Converter" as it was referred to above) that is built into the exhaust manifold is the only one that is monitored by the system; this is the converter that has failed. The post cat under the car that you replaced does not even have any provisions for the computer to know it is there, as the pre-cats on the manifold are sufficient to bring the vehicle within emissions standards.

The part information from recall that was posted earlier had this information however it was in one of the pictures that was not loading. Here is a copy of that section of the recall:

Register Here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so how much am i looking at price wise to fix the exhaust manifold cat?
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.

Just a moment, let me check the current price.... advanced warning you are probably going to want to be sitting down for it.

Give me just a minute to look it up.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thats what i was afraid of..
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.

Current retail price on your cat manifold is $390.52 (not as bad as some if that helps any).

Dealer cost is $240, so there is a lot of room to work if you have a friendly dealer that negotiates. If not, I would recommend calling mentormitsubishi.com (you will need to order over the phone, not from their site most likely due to the part you need). They will be probably about $100 less.... they usually sell for cost + 20% or so, they are a very inexpensive place to get factory parts.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not as bad as i was thinking haha.. thanks so much
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome, if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask, I'd be happy to assist you further if necessary.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician