Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

How can I program the keyless entry of my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

How can I program the keyless entry of my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GT?
The immobilizer is okay, so the car starts with both keys. But the keyless entry does not lock and unlock the car. Please advise.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there! Here is the procedure without a scan tool. Hope it helps!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I am going to opt out of the question as I think we have a better expert to handle your question.
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

Is this a KOS system (the vehicle can be started with the key in your pocket, or a traditional RKE system (metal key that must be inserted into the column to start the car, with remote buttons built into key)?

The instructions for fixing your problem, and the requirements to do it yourself, are different depending on the system.

Let me know which system you have so we can see about getting you fixed up.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a tradional RKE system with metal key and built in buttons. None of my keys (2) can remote unlock my car, but they can start the car. At the beginning, only one of my keys could unlock and lock the car, but it suddenly stopped.

The procedure sent by you could not help me.

Please advice.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

This is a relatively easy one to program... however I am moderately concerned that your keys both stopped working, potentially indicating there may be another issue at hand.

I will provide your programming instructions for you however as an opening step.

Give me a few moments to organize the instructions for you (I need to go to another location to do this). It will only be a few minutes.

Thanks

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your patience.

On this model, if you have the anti-theft enabled on your car, you will only be able to program the RKE remote if you have one working remote to use to start the process.

1. Press Unlock button on working key remote
2. in 4 to 10 seconds time, press lock button on working key remote
3. Press unlock button again within 1/2 second of releasing lock button
4. Press the lock and unlock button of the non-working remote for 1 or more seconds
5. Release buttons at the same time, and push unlock button in 1/2-1 second after releasing.
6. Repeat steps 4-5 for next key remote
7. Programming mode will end in two minutes of inactivity or starting of engine.

If you do not have anti-theft, do the following procedure to activate programming mode:

1. Locate the Data Port under drivers side dash
2. Insert keys in ignition and leave in the OFF position.

3. Connect the Data Port terminals 1 and 4 with a jumper wire, leave the jumper wire connected, and turn ignition switch ON within 5 seconds

4. Within 5 seconds of turning the ignition on, press the Hazard Switch 6 times. Note: The doors will lock and unlock once at this time indicating that the system is in the programming mode.

5. Press the LOCK button on the remote key to be registered three times within 10 seconds. The door will lock and unlock once.

6. Repeat for second remote key. The doors will lock and unlock once.

7. Disconnect the wire and remove the keys from the ignition.

Register Here

Please note that if you do find you have anti-theft enabled and you do not have a working key to initiate programming, then you will require a scan tool to program the keyless function.

Edited by Doug C on 10/15/2010 at 3:05 AM EST
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

I did some further research this morning to see if there was a way you could verify if you had the anti-theft system enabled without needing a scan tool, and found that all models above DE have the anti-theft enabled from the factory.
Because of this, yours being a GT(S) will have anti-theft system enabled, and you will not be able to program yourself unless you have an existing, working key/remote as described above in the anti-theft instructions.
If you do not have one working remote to start the process, you will have no choice but to have to go to a dealer or locksmith with 2007-up Mitsubishi support to have the system reset for new coding.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Doug C,

None of the solutions did not work. Is there no other way to get the key to lock and unlocked without one working key?

Kind regards,

John.
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

Yes unfortunately with the upper model system with anti-theft system, you are not going to be able to program a new key without two functioning keys, or taking the vehicle to a dealership or locksmith with Mitsubishi KOS programming capability.

Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks anyway.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I know not the most ideal situation, but rest assured it makes it much more difficult for unauthorized access or stealing of the wireless code that was an issue with the earlier systems.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No problem. You did your research. I have already accepted your answer. Thanks for all your efforts.

John.