VirtualWrench (L J)
VirtualWrench (L J), Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Where is the starter relay on a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX located?

Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  VirtualWrench (L J) replied 4 years ago.

It's located behind the center of dash. See below.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I have it out how do I test it? I have checked the starter, battery, and all fuses. They are all good. When I turn the key my multimeter dose not show a voltage drop when connected to the starter. This is the last step in chane of the starting loop.

Here you are.

graphicgraphic

Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My Relay looks like this

X XX

XXXXX

According to the picture I pulled the correct part but it dose not look the same. Which onese are 1-4?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will you reply to the above question?

Nothing came thru??

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My Relay looks like this

X XX

XXXXX

The relay should have 5 pins and look like the diagram i sent.....?

Does this have an antitheft system?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. According to the diagram I have the correct Relay. I am at a loss as to what to do now.

Well,,,we will see how far we can go with this.

So, it does have anti-theft right? Please confirm.

Is it an automatic or stick shift?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes is has an anti theft but no remote and does not work. It is a stick shift.

Here is the starting diagram. See if you have power to the black and yellow wire at the starter, if not, then test the path back to the source (fuse) Click here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All Fueses are good. According to the diagram the color of the wires has revealed that someone a long long time ago in a galixy far far away changed th positions of the two relays in this car. I have located the correct one. Now how do I check it?

LOL.....Real far away...

Pull the relay out and put a jumper wire in the #2 and #3 slots (not the relay)

Pin 2 should have voltage when trying to start it, and pin 3 goes to starter.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it has voltage

Thanks,

Can you check down at the starter and see if the black and yellow wire has power to it when trying to start it......i know it aint easy..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not tonight. I will check in the morning what results should I see. If ther is power? If there is not power?

If there is power there when trying to start it, then the starter is bad.

If there isn't power, you will need to back track that wire using the diagram i sent. Also the clutch pedal switch should have power to the green wire when cranking.

Good luck my friend!

Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic