Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

2000 Montero Sport: with an automatic transmission..2nd gear

I bought a used 2000 Montero Sport Limited with an automatic transmission. It is stuck in fail safe (2nd gear). Took it to one transmission shop and was told the transmission needed to be replaced. Took it to another and they told me they couldn't get a reading on their computer scan, (no codes came up). They also said the transmission is a Toyota transmission and i should take it to a Mitsubishi dealer to see if they can scan.

So my question is should i take it to a Mitsubishi dealer some 150 miles away or take it to a Toyota dealer in my town. And is a Toyota transmission compatible with a Mitsubishi Montero. thanks. hope you can help.
Chat Conversation Started
jan73 :

You could get the fault code read by a generic OBD-II scanner. AutoZone provides the at no charge.

jan73 :

It may be the same transmission, some are, some aren't

Customer :

What do you mean, it may be the same transmission, some are, some aren't?

jan73 :

Depending on VIN I believe they can have diferent trannys installed.

jan73 :

The first step is to get the code before condemning it thugh.

Customer :

So Auto Zone can get the code and offer a diagnosis, also?

jan73 :

Sorry, I have the wrong info. I will let another expert help you with this. Just hang on pls.

Customer :

okay i'll standby.

Customer :

The transmission in your Montero Sport is specific to that vehicle only. While there are parts here and there that cross over to other makes due to shared vendors, the transmission itself is not associated with Toyota.

What you are like thinking of is the ~85-89 Montero full size which used a Toyota A43 type transmission found in Toyota base pickups from the mid 90s.

Because your transmission is stuck in failsafe mode, it is important to find out -why- it is in this state rather than just rebuild the transmission. There are many different things that can cause th transmission to resort to fail safe that do not equate to an internal failure.

Unfortunately most scan tools are not going to be able to pull codes for the transmission. Ideally you need a Mitsubishi scanner MUTII or MUTIII to read these codes and identify the failure point (or the computers assumed failure point).

You can however read the codes manually with no scan tool.

To do this, you will need to locate the Diagnostic terminal under the driver side dash (where the scan tools hook up), and ground pin 1 of the terminal. Turn the key on and the N(eutral) light will flash the codes at you.

Once you determine the interpreted cause of the fail safe mode, then you can get started determining a course of action. It may end up that you do in fact need a transmission, but it also may end up that you just need a solenoid or speed sensor. The first step is to get those codes, and find a shop you can trust... preferably one that does not try to sell you a transmission without even knowing what is wrong with your vehicle.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you. i'll give it a try.

You're welcome, thanks for the accept and feedback.

Let me know what you find out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will do. can i speak directly with you?
Sure, just post here and I will get a notification as soon as I am available again. No need to open a new question for the same subject.