Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT: 3.0l..It cranks, it..pulse..fuel pressure

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 3.0l that will not start. It cranks, it has pulse and it has spark but will not start. We also checked the fuel pressure and it seems fine.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doug Cleland :

Hi, Did anything happen just prior to the vehicle not starting? Did it sit for a long period, or just have repairs made right before hand?

Doug Cleland :

Also, you said you have spark; is it consistent (meaning, does it continue to spark as long as you are cranking, or does it only spark once or twice at first crank)? Same question, but for injector pulse as well

Doug Cleland :

Is there any unusual noises while cranking, and has the computer been checked for trouble codes?
Thanks

Customer:

It turned off while waiting in a drive-thru. Work hadn't been done on the car prior to the problem. The spark and pulse is consistent. There are no unusual noises when cranking. The (3) trouble codes on the car were P0110, P0105 and P0400 which I believe are present because when the car was brought in it had the whole intake system disconnected along with a few sensors. It was disconnected because the owner tried diagnosing the problem before bringing it in.

Doug Cleland :

Thanks....

Doug Cleland :

Give me just a moment to catch up

Doug Cleland :

The p0110 and p0105 are both (air temp and barometer) related to the MAF sensor. Normally I would say that this is probably due to it being disconnected like you said, however I find it interesting that there is no p0100 (VAF) code set as well, since obviously it is disconnected as well.... p0400 is egr system which is common to fail on these but will not cause a no start condition under the najority of circumstances.....

Doug Cleland :

Have you cleared the codes, then cranked the car for at least 5-6 full count seconds (1-mississippi, etc) to see which codes recurr?

Doug Cleland :

The absence of a VAF code in combination with the IAT and BAP codes make me think we may have an issue here.