Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Eclipse GT: 2003 Mitsubishi..a 3000GT Turbo engine or a EVO

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Spyder Eclipse GT and I want to know if i could switch my stock engine out for a 3000GT Turbo engine or a EVO's turbo engine?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doug Cleland :

Hi

Customer:

hey

Doug Cleland :

The easy answer to this, is no you can not. There are a few options for you, however none are really *easy* solutions to adding power to your vehicle.

Doug Cleland :

What are your goals/expectations for power output?

Customer:

well i want to put a bigger engine in it and i didnt know it would mean moving alot of stuff around or what

Doug Cleland :

Ok. The 3000 swap is pretty much out of the question. You would require a transmission swap as well, and a full wiring conversion (nothing is plug and play between these two vehicles)

Customer:

thats why i was thinkng the 93-99 Mitsubishi 3000GT 6G72T Turbo 3.0 engine would fit in it

Doug Cleland :

EVO would be no less work, though would result in a better power platform and much more options as far as aftermarket/power output

Customer:

well what do you think about the EVo engine

Customer:

what you mean no less work

Doug Cleland :

Right, the problem is the 3000 runs a totally different platform; you couldn't even bolt it to your engine bay without significant custom work.... EVO notmuch different, although easier to adapt your frame for the EVO engine due to the 4g69 mount in your car

Doug Cleland :

(for 4 cylinder spyders)

Doug Cleland :

Is this your only vehicle/a vehicle that you require for daily/semi daily use?

Customer:

mine is a V6 and no i have another vehical for work. this is my custome vehicle

Doug Cleland :

Right, sorry what I was getting at is that yoru vehicle (3.0 V6) uses the same chassis mount as the 4 cylinder (4G69) which is the same chassis mount as the EVO (4G63), so it would be a little easier to adapt that the 3000GT engine which uses a different mount layout

Doug Cleland :

With another vehicle, I am really anything is possible it just depends on how long you have to work on it and how much money you want to spend. I would consider either of these swaps to be 'long term' engine swaps; lots of learning while you work on it, as it is a lot of custom work

Customer:

oh ok. well i got another question with your oppion what engine do you recomend that i put in my car that would make it faster than any other eclipse engine that i could also tune up for racing?

Customer:

bc we go to this track and race all the time

Customer:

oh i forgot to mension mine is an automatic

Doug Cleland :

For cost and ease of swap, I would start with a Diamante swap to begin with. This is a relatively straight forward swap wedo regularly. It is not a big power increase (only about 5-10hp), however the torque increase is substantial (~35lbs), enough to make a huge jump in performance, especially side by side with a stock eclipse. The followup to that would forced induction, which is good for a decent increase on the 3.5 safely, and something you can do in stages after the initial upgrade

Customer:

what website do you recomeend for some to buy street legal parts but for racing?

Doug Cleland :

What parts are you after?

Customer:

Intake system, Exhaust system, Engine upgrades, turbo chargers, good gripping tires for curves, pretty much anything to make it win races?

Customer:

and what parts would i need to have a turbo charger implaced right and wont blow up and what would i need to support it?

Doug Cleland :

well I have used the system from turbo-kits.com more than once and have been real pleased with the results. On topof a 3.5 swap, you can count on a reliable 280-300hp without issue. Any other engine upgrade is going to be more or less one-off (like Diamante swaps) as from my experience there aren't any really substantial aftermarket parts for intake or internals. The exhaust you have to be careful with, as you get into the streetlegal/non-streetlegal issues there. The main power to be gained on this car is through the headers (the rest of the exhaust, on a stock engine anyway) breathes quite well. The headers however will put you into the non-street legal department as your emissions control will be eliminated then

Customer:

so what engine would you prefferr me use for the turbo charging? mine that i have now or the Diamante?

Doug Cleland :

Most turbo kits will come complete (like theones we get from turbo-kits.com), and will have sufficient control for the increased power output via MAP hacking. Further control if you were to go higher on boost, or opt to use theDiamante block, etc, could be obtained through custom injectors for higher flow, anything beyond that would require a piggyback ecu, and someone with a dyno to tune it properly

Doug Cleland :

Diamante all the way

Doug Cleland :

the bottom end just seems to hold up better. I have seen 3.5 Eclipses pushing nearly 500hp daily on the stock bottom end. I have seen 3.0 Eclipses fall apart with 15 psi

Customer:

so diamante is a 3.5? and i have a governmentchip on my car. I want to take that off and replace with a ECu perfomance chip. How do i do that or can i just take it to a machanic?

Doug Cleland :

Yes the last generation Diamante was a 3.5 engine that was nearly identical externally to the Eclipse 3.0 (the early 92-97 Diamante had the 3000gt 3.0). By government chip, you mean the stock ecu?

Customer:

I guess yeah bc it wont let me go pass 110 on the speed ometer

Doug Cleland :

OK thanks. Yes the stock ecu limits your maximum speed for legal reasons (limited to the top speed of the tires that shipped with the vehicle new). You can have your ecu reprogrammed to remove this 'feature', as well as the rev limiter, etc. I would strongly recommend that you wait to do that until after you decide what you are doing as far as engine goes; as anything you would need to do for increased power output would require you to go into the ecu all over again, basically wasting the money from the first reprogram.

Doug Cleland :

You would need to take the car to someone capable of prgramming these, or mail the ecu to them. You can NOT just buy one and have it work plug and play, as the immobilizer programming is built into the ecu, and your keys owuld not work without towing it to a dealer to have the keys reprogrammed

Customer:

So i cant take the Ecu out and put a performance one in it? what do you recomend i do since i i want the engine first/

Doug Cleland :

If you have a source for a performance ECU, they will likely want yours first to program then send it back to you. If that is the case, then yes you could just plug and play. Otherwise your immobilizer will not function and the car won't run until you have the immobilizer reprogrammed to the new replacement ecu. I would definitely go with the engine swap first, then decide what you want to do with the engine control.... if you are happy with the power, then go ahead and do the ecu and be done. If you decide you are looking for more power, decide on a turbo or supercharger set up and go from there as you will most likely need a custom tuned ecu at this point anyway

Customer:

and whe i get to that point ill get a new ECU ship performance and when they go to put it in the would also reprogramm the immobilizer?

Doug Cleland :

It depends on how it is done. If they ship the ecu to you then you ship yours back, yes it will need to have the immobilizer programmed. If you ship them your old ecu first and then they send it back to you, the immobilizer will still be programmed correctly and you will be good to go..... the area of the ecu that they program does not overlap the immobilizer section, so your immobilizer info will still be safe on the ecu.

Customer:

ok do you know of a website that does that and how long does it ussaly take to reprogramm an ECU chip? and can i go to a car shop close by that does it? also i want a turbocharger that wont blow on me so im trying to get the engine fisrt then the rest of the stuff i need to support the turbo

Customer:

and when i get the diamante would i have to change transmissions too?

Doug Cleland :

You will have a hard time finding anyone close by that does this. The only time I have done one of these ecus was through a company called MYNES in Arizona. They do not have a website, and honestly were quite a pain to deal with. Start with the 3.5 for durability, then the turbo swap. If you can live without the top speed limitation, I would strongly recommend using a piggyback fuel computer for tuning the car. Not only is it infinitely more adjustable than the stock ecu with a tune, many many local shops will be able to work on your car without mailing the computer across the country etc. Pretty much any shop with a dyno will have a piggyback unit of choice they prefer to install/work with

Doug Cleland :

No, the Diamante engine will require your old intake manifold and up; You will also need to have the Diamante passenger side axle and axle carrier, and the Diamante starter and starter heat shield. Everything else is direct fit

Customer:

whats the piggyback fuel computer do for it? and how much would it cost for the diamante engine and then supplie to get it in? and so i just wanted be sure i understand, once i get the turbo and engine in then could i replace the ECU or hwhat? like how do i puta new one in with out sendign the old one off

Customer:

bc i dont want the top speed limitation affecting how fast i want to go

Doug Cleland :

Piggyback fuel control is a separate computer that interceptsthe signals coming out of your stock computer, and modifies them as necessary for the desired results. Expect around $2000 for the Diamante swap, plus the engine cost. The engine will run you between $400 and $1500 depending on the age/mileage/condition. Again the ecu is as I described before, you can mail yours out to someone that reprograms them, you can get one already reprogrammed, then have your immobilizer resprogrammed in it, or you can do a piggyback fuel control system.

Doug Cleland :

Gotcha, you are stuck with having to find someone to reprogram the ecu then; only other way to get around the top speed limiter is to do a standalone system..... not cheap, and far from easy

Customer:

ok so if i do the turbo, engine swap, and piggyback fuel control, how fast you think ill be able to go befor the stock ecu chip interfers?

Doug Cleland :

110 will stil be the cut off.... the difference is you will get there inprobably 3/5 of the time :)

Customer:

lol so it wont go past 110 but it will get there pretty quick? like how many secounds you think?

Doug Cleland :

On an automatic... I would wager around 12-13 seconds or so

Doug Cleland :

with a 3.5 and a mild turbo, you should be in the near 300hp neighborhood, and probably rough 13s for 1/4

Customer:

how fast you think ill get to 60 and what size turbo you preffer i use with the diamante 3.5? and the piggyback fuel control so that pretty much getts me up to speed fast faster?

Customer:

I also have an 2001 Acura Integra GS. by any chance would know what kind of engine i could put in it to make it alot faster also?

Doug Cleland :

I would expect around a 6 second 60 time... better if you had a manual transmission.. You want a moderate turbo, like a t25, t28 etc. Remember this is a vehicle that isn't supposed to be turboed, you can't go all out with a 19G etc. The piggy back (megasquirt, etc) will be programmed by someone with a dyno for optimum power and reliability... that is all up to their skills and familiarity.

Doug Cleland :

Sorry, I'm a Mitsubishi guy, and don't really have enough Acura experience to feel comfortable offering advice; i wouldn't want to steer you wrong there

Doug Cleland :

There are several Honda/Acura people here, but I am unsure if any of them are familiar with high power swaps etc

Customer:

oh ok and ok thats kool. but if i was to say get the chip and immobolizer reprogrammed then would having turbo be safer for my engine/ bc when i do get the turbo i want everything to support it so it dont break or blow on me bc i would eventual add other part like intakes and ect...

Customer:

the turbo kits come with everything i need right?

Doug Cleland :

If you go mild, you can us the MAP hack for added fuel (like from the site I mentioned earlier). If you go higher than the kits boost pressure, you will need to have the ecu programmed afterward.... you can not do that first, as the vehicle woul dnot run properly with additional fueling until the turbo was added. The kit will come with everything you need as long as you keep it at the bost pressure they set it for.

Customer:

ok. so if you can give me the best directions for boosting and what to do first to ensure its done right or should i just get the turbo kit and take it to a mechanic?

Doug Cleland :

I would only recommend going with a purpose built kit rather than pieceing it together. Also I strongly recommend having a professional install the kit. If you are doing it to your 3.0, I'd suggest a compression test and mechanical oil pressure test before hand to see what kind of condition your engine is in before you go introducing boost.

Customer:

yeah well wich ever engine i chose it gona be brand new and the transmission to. how much you think that would cost

Customer:

?

Doug Cleland :

A lot. Your best bet would e a remanufactured engine; You should be able to get a reman long block 3.5 for around $2500 or so. New would run you in the $4500 range jsut for the bottom end (no heads). Transmission would be the same situation, mid 2000's reman, mid 4k new

Customer:

oh well is there naymore advise you can give bc i dont know what else to say?

Doug Cleland :

I would do some research on the 3.5 swap, like I said there are a lot of people that do that swap. You will likely find several through google etc that have done incremental swaps (3.5, then turbo, supercharger, etc) that will give you a good idea of what different mods result in different power increases, what works, what doesn't etc. They are common enough there are several in my town (small town at that), there should be lots of information to read up on online. Once you get a good idea of what others are doing and how it is working out for them, you can evaluate the costs and make a decision on what is right for you. You may find you'd be happy with just the 3.5 etc; you may find that the results you are looking for are going to cost too much to justify vs just buying a higher power vehicle.... that;s something you'll have to decide for yourself on

Customer:

yeah im thinking i might just work with my acura first im not sure yet

Customer:

but thanks for your help

Doug Cleland :

Yes, the Acura likely has a much broader aftermarket due to the # XXXXX them on the road. You're very welcome, I'm glad to help

Customer:

see im in the army im Infantry so you know i kill and destroy lol but going fast around the track keeps me calm

Doug Cleland :

fair enough, I'm the same way (well excep the killing and destroying) :)

Customer:

lol yeah but thanks i consider what you told me

Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician