Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician
3827149

Hey there, 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS with 2.0 no turbo, It

Customer Question

Hey there, 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS with 2.0 no turbo, It appears that you need to take the engine out to replace the water-pump due to the plastic covering around the timing gears and the pump housing and the little room between there and the fender well. Any tricks that make it easier or advice on how to do it. The book just says take out components that are in the way?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 4 years ago.
Ok the water pump is driven by the timing belt are you replacing that also?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well I wasn't planning on it it is my sons bomber and i just need to get it running.
OK well you need to remove it anyway might as well repalce it .Would you like me to post directions for you .You will need a puller to get the crank pulley off do you have one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can get one and I would appreicate directions from you. Thanks
OK give me a little time to post the procedure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your help.
No problem working on it know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to leave for a few hours now so if you have others to help, I won't be able to look at it till after 10 tonight. Appreciate it. Tom
No problem .I will post it then you can get it later .Try to post with diagrams for you .Not an easy job your son will owe you one lol.
1. In the procedure it tells you how to compress the hydraulic tensioner, I HIGHLY recommend you replace this tensioner it has a bad habit of failing or leaking after it is compressed 2. Make absolutely sure you spin the motor over by hand twice to get the slack out of the belt and check to see if the marks line up before you reassemble the vehicle. 3. Use the black paper clips like it tells you to this really helps with keeping the belt in place and setting tension. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, it is a fairly simple job just be patient and follow the procedure.

See Figures 8 through 25

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the accessory drive belts.
  3. Remove the power steering pump from the bracket and position it out of the way. Do not disconnect the hoses.

graphic

Fig. 8: Unfasten the power steering pump retaining bolts
  1. Remove the power steering pump bracket from the engine.
  2. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  3. Use a floor jack with a piece of wood on it and jack up the engine to take the weight off of the engine mount.
  4. Remove the engine mount and bracket.
  5. Unfasten the retainers, then remove the front timing belt cover.

graphic

Fig. 9: Engine timing system parts identification-1995-98 2.0L non-turbo engine If the timing belt is going to be reused, mark the direction of rotation on the belt with an arrow. Install the belt in the same direction

graphic

Fig. 10: If you are going to reinstall the old belt, mark the direction of rotation for installation purposes
  1. Rotate the crankshaft sprocket clockwise until the timing marks are aligned. Loosen the timing belt tensioner and remove the timing belt.

graphic

Fig. 11: Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolts (see arrows) ...

graphic

Fig. 12: ... then remove the timing belt from the engine

graphic

Fig. 13: Unfasten the tensioner retaining bolts ..

graphic

Fig. 14: Remove the timing belt tensioner
  1. Use tool MB995027 or equivalent to hold the crankshaft sprocket while removing the mounting bolt in the center.
  2. If available, you can use end yoke holder tool MB990767 or equivalent to hold the camshaft sprocket while removing the mounting bolt in the center.

graphic

Fig. 15: Remove the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt

graphic

Fig. 16: ... then remove the camshaft sprocket from the vehicle WARNING Do not rotate the crankshaft or the camshafts while the belt is removed.
  1. If necessary, unfasten the retainers, then remove the idle and tensioner pulleys.

graphic

Fig. 17: If necessary to remove the idle pulley, unfasten the retaining bolt

graphic

Fig. 18: ... then remove the idle pulley, if necessary

graphic

Fig. 19: Unfasten the tensioner pulley retaining bolt .

graphic

ig. 20: ... then remove the tensioner pulleyTo install:
  1. Use the special tool to hold the camshaft sprocket and install the center bolt. Tighten the bolt to 75 ft. lbs. (101 Nm).
  2. Use tool MB995038 and MB995026 or equivalent, to install the crankshaft sprocket.
  3. Using a vise, slowly compress the plunger into the body of the tensioner and install a pin through the body of the tensioner to retain the plunger.

graphic

Fig. 21: Compress the tensioner in a vise-1995-98 2.0L non-turbo engine

graphic

Fig. 22: Once the tensioner is removed from the vehicle, plate it in a suitable vise

graphic

Fig. 23: Use the vise to carefully compress the plunger into the body

graphic

Fig. 24: When the plunger of the tensioner is fully compressed, insert a pin through the body to hold it
  1. Make sure the timing marks are still aligned, if not, align the camshaft sprocket timing marks facing each other. Align the crankshaft sprocket timing mark with the mark on the oil pump housing, then turn the crankshaft sprocket backward 1/2 notch.

graphic

Fig. 25: Engine timing marks-1995-98 2.0L non-turbo engine
  1. Install the timing belt starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner pulley.
  2. Turn the crankshaft sprocket 1/2 notch to TDC to take up the slack in the belt.
  3. Install the tensioner on the engine but do not tighten the bolts.
  4. Place a torque wrench on the tensioner pulley and apply 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm) of torque in the direction of the water pump. Push the tensioner up against the tensioner pulley and Tighten the mounting bolts to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
  5. Pull the pin out of the tensioner. Belt tension is correct when the pin can be removed and installed.
  6. Rotate the crankshaft two revolutions and check the timing marks for alignment. Repeat the previous steps if necessary.
  7. Install the timing belt cover.
  8. Install the crankshaft pulley.
  9. Install the engine mount and bracket. Remove the jack from under the engine.
  10. Install the power steering pump bracket and pump.
  11. Install the drive belts.
  12. Connect the negative battery cable.

1995-98 TURBO ENGINES

See Figures 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, and 31

2. Remove the engine undercover.
  3. Remove the engine mount bracket.
  4. Remove the drive belts.
  5. Remove the belt tensioner pulley.
  6. Remove the water pump pulleys.
  7. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  8. Remove the stud bolt from the engine support bracket and remove the timing belt covers.
  9. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise to line up the camshaft timing marks. Always turn the crankshaft in the forward direction only.
  10. Loosen the tension pulley center bolt.

If the timing belt is to be reused, mark the direction of rotation on the flat side of the belt with an arrow.

1. Move the tension pulley towards the water pump and remove the timing belt.
  2. Remove the crankshaft sprocket center bolt using special tool MB990767 to hold the crankshaft sprocket while removing the center bolt. Then use MB998778 or equivalent puller to remove the sprocket.
  3. Mark the direction of rotation on the timing belt B with a arrow.
  4. Loosen the center bolt on the tensioner and remove the belt.
  5. To remove the camshaft sprocket, remove the cylinder head cover. Use a wrench to hold the hexagonal part of the camshaft and remove the sprocket mounting bolt.
WARNING Do not rotate the camshafts or the crankshaft while the timing belt is removed.

graphic

Fig. 26: Timing belt routing and component identification-1995-98 2.0L turbo engineTo install:
  1. Use a wrench to hold the camshaft and install the sprocket and mounting bolt. Tighten the bolt(s) to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).
  2. Install the cylinder head cover.
  3. Place the crankshaft sprocket on the crankshaft. Use tool MB990767 or equivalent to hold the crankshaft sprocket while tightening the center bolt. Tighten the center bolt to 80-94 ft. lbs. (108-127 Nm).
  4. Align the timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket B and the balance shaft.
  5. Install timing belt B on the sprockets. Position the center of the tensioner pulley to the left and above the center of the mounting bolt.
  6. Push the pulley clockwise toward the crankshaft to apply tension to the belt and tighten the mounting bolt to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm). Do not let the pulley turn when tightening the bolt because it will cause excessive tension on the belt. The belt should deflect 0.20-0.28 in. (5-7 mm) when finger pressure is applied between the pulleys.
  7. Install the crankshaft sensing blade and the crankshaft sprocket. Apply engine oil to the mounting bolt and Tighten the bolt to 80-94 ft. lbs. (108-127 Nm).
  8. Use a press or vise to compress the auto tensioner pushrod. Insert a set pin when the holed are lined up.

WARNING Do not compress the pushrod too quickly, damage to the pushrod can occur.

1. Install the auto tensioner on the engine.
  2. Align the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket, crankshaft sprocket and the oil pump sprocket.
  3. After aligning the mark on the oil pump sprocket, remove the cylinder block plug and insert a Phillips screwdriver in the hole to check the position of the counter balance shaft. The screwdriver should go in at least 2.36 in. or more, if not, rotate the oil pump sprocket once and realign the timing mark so the screwdriver goes in. Do not remove the screwdriver until the timing belt is installed.

graphic

Fig. 27: After the timing mark on the oil pump sprocket is lined up, remove the block plug and insert a screwdriver to assure proper alignment
  1. Install the timing belt on the intake camshaft and secure it with a clip.

graphic

Fig. 28: Keep the timing belt in position using a bulldog clip
  1. Install the timing belt on the exhaust camshaft. Align the timing marks with the cylinder head top surface using two wrenches. Secure the belt with another clip.
graphic

Fig. 29: Use 2 wrenches to align the marks with the top of the cylinder head
  1. Install the belt around the idler pulley, oil pump sprocket, crankshaft sprocket and the tensioner pulley.
  2. Turn the tension pulley so the pinholes are at the bottom. Press the pulley lightly against the timing belt.
  3. Screw the special tool into the left engine support bracket until it contacts the tensioner arm, then screw the tool in a little more and remove the pushrod pin from the auto tensioner. Remove the special tool and Tighten the center bolt to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).

graphic

Fig. 30: Use a torque wrench and adapter to apply tension to the timing belt-1995-98 2.0L turbo engine
  1. Turn the crankshaft 1/4 turn counterclockwise and then clockwise until the timing marks are aligned.
graphic

Fig. 31: View of the proper timing mark alignment-1995-98 2.0L turbo engine
  1. Loosen the center bolt. Install special tool MD998767 on the tension pulley. Turn the tension pulley counterclockwise with a torque of 2.6 ft. lbs. (3.5 Nm) and tighten the center bolt to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm). Do not let the tension pulley turn with the bolt.
  2. Turn the crankshaft two revolutions to the right and align the timing marks. After 15 minutes, measure the protrusion of the pushrod on the auto tensioner. The standard measurement is 0.150-0.177 in (3.8-4.5 mm). If the protrusion is out of specification, loosen the tension pulley, apply the proper torque to the belt and retighten the center bolt.
  3. Install the crankshaft pulley. Tighten the mounting bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  4. Install the water pump. Tighten the mounting bolts to 6.5 ft. lbs. (8.8 Nm).
  5. Install and adjust the drive belts.
  6. Install the engine mount bracket.
  7. Install the engine undercover.
  8. Connect the negative battery cable.
Once the belt is off you can get to the water pump.Not an easy job.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.

Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Boy what a job answering this, looks great, My son will more than owe me. Thanks so much I really appreciate it. Tom
Anytime.