Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited: My temperature gauge keeps going

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited. My temperature gauge keeps going to hot, even though the vehicle is not hot. Why? What can I do to fix it?
I was told that I need an ECU control or an instrument cluster. ARe either of these correct? Which one? They are both expensive.

Thank you!
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 6 years ago.
Has anyone checked the cooling temp sender?

Edited by Cardoctor74 on 8/10/2010 at 7:49 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

NO. I do not think so. Is that a possibility? What is normal on these cars? I see that there is a lot of similar problems, listed on the internet, with 2001 models. Again, I need to know what to do. I am not a mechanic and I do not want to go buying parts that I do not need.

OK did a little more research and found that this is an issue with the gage cluster .Its not and ecm issue reading hot in not a communication issue its in the printed circuit board of the dash cluster.I would repalce the dash cluster to fix this you can get it from a salvage yard for 100 dollars or less.This is what is common and needs to be done next for this issue.You can always buy a separate gage from an auto parts store and hook that up so you know the correct reading that will cost about 35 dollars .These are the next steps.

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.