Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

My son just signed his 17 year old daughter into the navy.

Customer Question

my son just signed his 17 year old daughter into the navy. She goes to boot camp in 6 months. She will be 18 in July. How can she cancel the enlistment?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: Ther is no chain of command yet. Only her recuiter
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. The process for a minor is fairly simple. She merely needs to contact the recruiter and tell them that she has changed her mind. A contract by a minor, even if agreed to by a parent, is always subject to be cancelled. In addition, the Navy does not want a recruit that does not want to be there. To make things easier, she will want to do this before she turns 18 if possible. If the recruiter gives her trouble, which they might since they have quotas to make, she just needs to speak to their reporting senior or let them know that she is going to contact her Congressional Representative. That will usually work to get the recruiter moving on papers to cancel the enlistment.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to let me know that I covered your question and to leave a positive rating of my efforts to answer your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 17th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.