Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My niece who was a Sergeant in the Army had a relationship

Customer Question

My niece who was a Sergeant in the Army had a relationship with a Sargent in her unit. He borrowed $6,000 and signed a notarized promissory agreement to pay back the money. So far he has ignored her calls. What action can she take against this Sergeant.
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: We have sent a letter to Fort Drum where this person is stationed and the reply was they could not help.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
She would have to take civil action against the Sergeant, since this would be a personal transaction that is between the two individuals. So, she can file suit in civil court and because he is in NY this cannot go to small claims court because the NY limit in small claims is $5000, so she would have to sue in the NY Supreme Court civil division, but she has recourse and she needs to sue the guy for her money back.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.