Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I was wondering about the social media regulation. i was

Customer Question

i was wondering about the social media regulation. i was told that as long as something is not directed toward a singular person (or disrespecting any type of NCO) but instead is a broad statement then it is okay to post
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: north carolina and im in the army
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: nope
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: an example of what i could post is "jason goes on facebook and says 'man going to work with these lying individuals is getting on my nerves" versus saying "man working with SGT Lewis, ignorant self is getting annoying"
JA: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?
Customer: it was discussed with a JAG lay=wyer lawyer
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Your statement is certainly partially accurate. Without make a specific statement which identifies a specific person, you can't be charged with the more specific violations of contempt towards an officer, warrant or NCO. That's because they can't pinpoint who you are talking about.

That being said, they don't have to pinpoint who you are talking about for Article 133 or 134 charges, conduct unbecoming an officer (or if you are enlisted) Article 134, the catch all Article. Now, it is very difficult to articulate a claim against someone, but I've seen it done. While the person was ultimately not punished, it took a long time for it to work out in the command and that person's career was never the same. Simply put, there are too many ways to retaliate against you, by command, that are invisible.

I'm a JAG, so I know how to argue anything, and I STILL take an exceedingly conservative approach with my social media statements.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.