P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I am a veteran of desert Storm with an honorable discharge.

Customer Question

Hi. I am a veteran of desert Storm with an honorable discharge. My company recently (five months ago) sent out an inquiry to find out who are the veterans within the organization. I found this strange since it was the first time in the 24 years of my employment that they made this inquiry. We have many US gov't contracts and the fact they employ me and others like me makes it favorable for my firm when they pursue the work. Recently we have had layoffs which have not affected me but may. What are my rights and why did they ask for this info all of a sudden?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

It's very hard for us to answer a question like "what are my rights" and provide you with helpful information. I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.