P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

What are the typical steps of an investigation? Stateside, I

Customer Question

What are the typical steps of an investigation?
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: I was only asked about a female friend after an incident in which I was arrested. She came to pick me and told the officers she was my girlfriend
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Would the Marine corp contact her to ask her any questions?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma..but do not understand the question...do you have a specific question about this? That is, are you asking how the military conducts investigations?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will the military contact the women I was involved with? And will they contact my wife?

Most likely? Yes...if you are a suspect in a criminal matter, you can expect the military will thoroughly investigate ALL circumstances surrounding the allegations. So yes...I would expect the investigator to contact this girl as well as your spouse.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was arrested for a DUI. She picked me up from the location and said she was my girlfriend. My command asked me about it and i said she was a friend.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As of now I go to civilian court tomorrow. What would be a timeline as to when they would contact her or my wife? There was not criminal activity. It was an arrest and she picked me up

If you have a "girlfriend" and are married? That could be a violation of the UCMJ. THat would be criminal activity.

Timeline: That depends on your commander.

Marine, I have to step away for approx 1 hour. When I return I will answer any additional questions you may have

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil