Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

How do I get out of the army during ait, Stateside, No, No

Customer Question

How do I get out of the army during ait
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

This a very common question. I don't say that to belittle your issue, but so that you understand that we deal with this issue regularly and have watched over the years as the strategies for getting out have been reduced in effectiveness by changes in the law.

After almost 20 years of near constant conflict/warfare, all of the "loop holes" as they used to be called are gone. Rumors of their existence persist among "barracks lawyers" but they are false.

There is no method to get out other than breaking the law and essentially forcing a processing for separation. You can gain weight and failed PT tests, but that takes a long time and it's fair unpleasant during the process. You can go to medical, claim depression, and go through a fairly long process of confirming that diagnosis and then, if your command wants to, they can choose to process you for separation.

All remaining possibilities require very specific facts like family hardship or other medical issues that make continued service undesirable, and then your command against has to choose to separate you.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.