How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 14134
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired from active duty as a Master Sergeant, E7, us

Customer Question

I retired from active duty as a Master Sergeant, E7, us army. I was a Master Sergeant for almost 15 years. My retirement orders read Master Sergeant. The Army Commendation Medal awarded me a day before retirement reads "Master Sergeant". My retired pay is correct, however,everything I get in the mail from military agencies reads "SFC". Payroll says they can do nothing, the same for Human
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Resources, Army Retirement, and all others. How do I get my rank changed from Sergeant First Class to Master Sergeant?
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: YES
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Master Sergeant, I am sorry for this dilemma...but I do not understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am a retired Master Sergeant . All letters, mailings of any kind, etc. are addressed to me as SFC. I have exhausted all efforts to have this corrected. How do I get this changed?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

But letter from whom? What organization(s) are sending this to you? The US Army? Some other organization(s)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Army finance &accounting carries me as a SFC. Army HUMAN RESOURCES carries me as a SFC. I'm NOT a SFC. I'm a MSG
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

And to verify, your military records are correct (that is, if you review your military records, they show you as MSg, is that correct)? Have you checked the records to verify that they are correct?

Related Military Law Questions