P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I am retired from the national guard 34 years of service. my

Customer Question

I am retired from the national guard 34 years of service. my wife and I have jag wills that were prepared in vermont. we now are permanent residents of venice florida and need to update our wills. can that be done and where
JA: Has anything been officially filed?
Customer: in terms of retirement, yes
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: we do not know where to begin
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: would need to update will and prepare living will as well as power of attorney
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I want to understand the reason for the update...is it simply because you have moved? Or do you want to change the terms of the wills?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Moved

Thanks

There is NO requirement you make the change based on the move. The "Full Faith and Credit Clause" of our Constitution requires that the state of FL recognize your valid VT will. The fact you moved has NO impact on the validity of the wills.

Period.

That said, if you want to "update"? I would recommend, rather creating a new will.

To "update" a will is a complex process...and you would need to do this with a VT attorney (since it is a VT will).

Easier to simply create new ones.

You can do this yourself (for example, here http://www.legalzoom.com/personal/estate-planning/last-will-and-testament-overview.html?kid=6bfe8f50-1662-4292-b4c4-1c7582eb8d84&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Create%20Your%20Will_sitelink&cvokid=6bfe8f50-1662-4292-b4c4-1c7582eb8d84&keyword=Create%20Your%20Will&cvosrc=ppc.google.Create%20Your%20Will_sitelink&utm_source=google&gclid=Cj0KEQiA-MPCBRCZ0q23tPGm6_8BEiQAgw_bAvv0_foOq85mLIOh7xlmNzfiAJII0L5i_uemyZ7mqFcaAgZe8P8HAQ )

Or you can head to a local military base and request they assist you...your retired status gives you that option.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil