Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I am an AF Officer and met my current girlfriend when i was

Customer Question

I am an AF Officer and met my current girlfriend when i was in school and she at another nearby college. For financial reasons, she chose to go Army reserves (enlisted). What is the risk if we continued this relationship?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This was in CO.
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: Not yet no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Are either of you married? or are you both single?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Both single

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience, including experience with the DoD. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You probaby have little reason to be concerned. Although the Military rues agains fraternization sdoes apply across service branches it is difficult for the elements for a violation to be met across services. This is because it must be proven that the fraternization undermines the good order of the military. Specifically, Article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice states that when the conduct "has compromised the chain of command, resulted in the appearance of partiality, or otherwise undermined good order, discipline, authority, or morale," then it is actionable.

Also legal marriage is a defense to the charge in any case.

So you should have no problem.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
would you suggest letting my chain know and then seeing how they react?

If you are willing to follow the direction of the command you can ask for an opinion by the command JAG.

Honestly, you are certainly fine continuing the relationship. It seems extraordinarily unlikely that your relationship would have any impact on the good order of the military.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Gerald