P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I was convicted of assault while on leave. Later, I retired

Customer Question

I was convicted of assault while on leave. Later, I retired and I am told that my retirement pay is being suspended because of the conviction, even though I was not reprimanded
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: Yes. My commander knew of the assault while on leave, but did nothing because my continued service was not affected. He stands behind me, but the Navy is threatening to suspend my retirement benefits.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yeah, I plead guilty for beating up a guy who had beat my girl friend. Can I get recalled and put in a court martial?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 16 days ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma...but I suspect there may be a bit more to the story...the Navy can NOT suspend your retirement absent a recall to active duty and a conviction at court martial...did they recall you to active duty?

Are you still looking for help on this? I have waited for some time for a response.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Been out. I think I need a local attorney to appear at a hearing that's not yet been scheduled. thanks for your help