P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My son's last day of active duty was this past Thursday. We

Customer Question

My son's last day of active duty was this past Thursday. We are trying to find out what his healthcare options are since we think he no longer qualifies for Tricare. He was honorably discharged. Do you know what options he may have for medical coverage while he transitions to a civilian job?
JA: I'm the military lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: Hello Pearl
JA: Are you overseas or stateside?
Customer: Stateside
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: He went through the transition class and has been on terminal leave. As I mentioned, Thursday was his last day of active duty. Based on what he learned in the transition class, he thought he had continuous coverage while he transitioned but what we found on the Tricare website this weekend, he is no longer covered.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really, we are just trying to find out about medical coverage for him until he gets a job. Not sure we should be contacting a lawyer at this point but this site came up when we did a search for medical coverage on recently discharged military people. If this subject is something that the attorney doesn't really handle, please let us know. I do not want to waste anyone's time - I do appreciate your time and assistance in the meantime.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 20 days ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, what was the basis for separation? Did he complete his contract? Or was he separated early and if so for what reason?